Discuss Main switch to RCD cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The bus bar looks damaged to me, and like the cable it can’t just be cleaned, because the terminals will tarnish again and fail.

I would expedite the replacement of the CU.
Noted Midwest - thanks for that. The general consensus, including yours is pretty much what I thought - it’s just great to get all the views together from so many professionals.
It also adds a considerable weight to my client persuasion techniques when it comes to fuse board changes....

I think I'd be replacing the busbar rather than cleaning it up. I'm guessing the blackened bits on the busbar are soot which is acidic and will eat into the metal. If it has only just happened then cleaning it off will be fine, but you have no way of knowing this and it's probably been like that for ages slowly eating into the copper. It's just not worth the risk for the sake of a new busbar, although I know it'll be a pain to find the right one!

Probably best just to change the CU as most others have said.

I think I'd be replacing the busbar rather than cleaning it up. I'm guessing the blackened bits on the busbar are soot which is acidic and will eat into the metal. If it has only just happened then cleaning it off will be fine, but you have no way of knowing this and it's probably been like that for ages slowly eating into the copper. It's just not worth the risk for the sake of a new busbar, although I know it'll be a pain to find the right one!

Probably best just to change the CU as most others have said.
Agreed - I have tracked down a replacement busbar - being delivered tomorrow!!
They will still end up getting a new CU later on anyway....

Whilst I understand the need to replace heat damaged components (or components which have corroded due to arcing etc), I cant see how there could be any hidden damage to a copper busbar. Copper melts at 1085 degrees, and I cant see that happening to metal that thick, without leaving more serious damage. I suppose it could have warped, but that is easy to check. Surely any corrosion from acidic soot would be obvious as the surface would be pitted? It's thickness could easily be checked. Are there other ways it could fail?

Unless you have some qualification in metal analysis, how would you know if this damaged busbar has reacted to the thermal application. Its clearly suffered surface damage, as per the suggestion it can be just cleaned off.

If you ever tried cleaning off a large copper cable that has suffered thermal damage, you'll know the fix is short term. If a replacement bus bar was freely available, then I doubt anyone would question its replacement. In this case it has been problematic in finding a new one (I see the OP has), but that shouldn't change the attitude to the repair.

Quite frankly, its not worth the risk.

Reply to Main switch to RCD cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock