Discuss Main switch to RCD cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I was putting additional sockets on a ring final circuit for a client - all done, pretty simple job.
BUT!! When doing the testing, found the main switch and live feed to main RCD had serious overheating damage!! Needless to say needs replacing! All the circuits are in good condition.
its an older MEM board 16th edition and I have managed to get a new main switch, the problem I have is getting the correct cable to replace the one on the board - these usually come with fuseboards - does anybody know where I can get one? Or should I just replace it with standard meter tails?
[automerge]1581004302[/automerge]
I was putting additional sockets on a ring final circuit for a client - all done, pretty simple job.
BUT!! When doing the testing, found the main switch and live feed to main RCD had serious overheating damage!! Needless to say needs replacing! All the circuits are in good condition.
its an older MEM board 16th edition and I have managed to get a new main switch, the problem I have is getting the correct cable to replace the one on the board - these usually come with fuseboards - does anybody know where I can get one? Or should I just replace it with standard meter tails?

Attachments

• Main switch to RCD cable DCDA0EED-DE89-440C-BBDE-3A734381E8AA - EletriciansForums.net
    DCDA0EED-DE89-440C-BBDE-3A734381E8AA.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 97
Oh dear. You could try contacting Eaton. They took over MEM some time ago. They might be able to tell if someone has a stock of spares.

Otherwise, it’s a new CU.

They are usually a very fine strand cable with a treated end these days.
19 strand flexi tails may work well.

You can get kits by other brands but you'd have to verify size and length

You might need to consider if the regulation about manufacturer specific parts applies

I’ve read before, that when any metal has been subject to thermal damage, it cannot be cleaned up and reused, specifically for electrical purposes.

And having taken on repairs, one takes on the responsibility. I would either replace the damaged items, or replace the CU.

New board time, Memshield 2 is obsolete now so this is a good time to replace it with something current. Shame you didn't ask last week, I removed and threw out an identical board!

How soon if you could get spare did you need the link cables? I may just may have some spare if you can wait till the weekend I can have a look if it would help! I used to have loads of mem2 spares but down to the last few bits kicking around now

New board time, Memshield 2 is obsolete now so this is a good time to replace it with something current. Shame you didn't ask last week, I removed and threw out an identical board!
That’s a shame - it was only today though!
[automerge]1581017544[/automerge]
How soon if you could get spare did you need the link cables? I may just may have some spare if you can wait till the weekend I can have a look if it would help! I used to have loads of mem2 spares but down to the last few bits kicking around now
ASAP sparkySy - I need to book in a return visit to repair properly. Let me know details if you have them. Thanks

I will have a look on Saturday and let you know! I have a huge box of 16th/ 17th edition consumer unit parts in my lock up there is definitely some mem2 parts in there just not sure if there are link cables in there without a look!

Thanks, another mate of mine said that - the busbar has already been cleaned up ok, just need the other stuff
So next time you come across a cable that’s suffered thermal damage, you’ll just buff up all the burnt bits, with a bit of emery papers, and screw in back in. Hope your insurance company has a similar view of things, should it all go wrong.

Why are you so willing to save these people from spending money on their responsibilities?

So next time you come across a cable that’s suffered thermal damage, you’ll just buff up all the burnt bits, with a bit of emery papers, and screw in back in. Hope your insurance company has a similar view of things, should it all go wrong.

Why are you so willing to save these people from spending money on their responsibilities?
The cable is damaged and will be replaced along with the main switch but the bus bar has onot suffered blackening hence it cleans up nicely. The nature of Cu is that it can tolerate very high temperatures, particularly if it’s a solid bar..
If I thought for one minute that the damage was irreparable I would not touch it and would get the client to accept a new fuse board to 18th standards is the only thing to do.
Dont get me wrong - this is a temporary fix anyway until that happens because they already realise a new board is the only way after I showed them the damage.

The cable is damaged and will be replaced along with the main switch but the bus bar has onot suffered blackening hence it cleans up nicely. The nature of Cu is that it can tolerate very high temperatures, particularly if it’s a solid bar..
If I thought for one minute that the damage was irreparable I would not touch it and would get the client to accept a new fuse board to 18th standards is the only thing to do.
Dont get me wrong - this is a temporary fix anyway until that happens because they already realise a new board is the only way after I showed them the damage.
The bus bar looks damaged to me, and like the cable it can’t just be cleaned, because the terminals will tarnish again and fail.

I would expedite the replacement of the CU.

Reply to Main switch to RCD cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock