Discuss main switch tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

woodsta

I changed a consumer unit about 4 years ago now and the customer has now come back to me with a problem which happened while they were away. On their return the neighbour who was looking after the house had said that the electric had tripped out. I assumed they meant the rcd had tripped due to maybe a power cut and a surge. But the main switch on the board and a sub board were off as well. Now i would have thought anything that had caused this would have blown the main fuse but apparantly not. has anyone else come accross this. The only load being used in the house was the boiler. I think the neighbour has come in and tried switching anything to get power on.

the neighbour said the main switches were off on both boards, there have been no problems since they turned them back on. So they had tripped but no problems since switching back on.

thats what im thinking power was left on just to keep the heating on half hour a day . i think the neighbour has come round and maybe an rcd had tripped and they turned the main switches off to try and get power on. Pensioners as well.

As I understand it there's no mechanism in a main switch to trip - unlike an MCB, or an RCD?

I thought they are straight forward DP switches - no springs like an MCB to power the trip in an overload situation.

sounds like a typical case of user error. probably was an RCD trip and they've been playing around switching things on and off without understanding what they were doing.

Agree with wirepuller and sparc unless its a main switch RCD it will be as wirepuller has said a 60947/5419 which is an isolator not an overload or fault protective device

A bulb blowing can take an mcb out. I suspect someone has perhaps had a little fiddle about and forgotten. What type of switches you talking about. Did the neighbours helpfully empty the freezer as well to stop the food rotting ;)

which brings me back to my original post, if he installed it he would know the main switch cant trip so something else has caused the problem.
But the main switch on the board and a sub board were off as well. Now i would have thought anything that had caused this would have blown the main fuse but apparantly not. has anyone else come accross this.

would wonder how he expected the main switch to of tripped in the first place though?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to main switch tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock