CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Main switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparks1234

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Interested in your opinion, I have always been under the impression that an installation should have a main switch, one switch turns everything off, years ago you just tapped off the Henly block, what do other people do if the original consumer unit is full?

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
S

Spudnik

Many consider the single point of isolation as the main cut out fuse.

I prefer an isolator then into the henly.

sparks1234

-
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
yes im with you, dont like the idea of main fuse as isolator, but an interesting argument

D

DanBrown

Yeah, i'd prefer that, although its pretty hard to install an isolator between main incoming and henley blocks, without removing the main fuse's...(I'll never remove fuses, too risky for me.)

What i tend to do, is after the henley blocks fit a fused isolator that then feeds each fuse board. (keep all isolators in one spot, and make sure adequatly labelled) It also provides isolation to only part of the system, without shutting the whole place down..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spudnik

Yeah, i'd prefer that, although its pretty hard to install an isolator between main incoming and henley blocks, without removing the main fuse's...(I'll never remove fuses, too risky for me.)

What i tend to do, is after the henley blocks fit a fused isolator that then feeds each fuse board. (keep all isolators in one spot, and make sure adequatly labelled) It also provides isolation to only part of the system, without shutting the whole place down..:)
Good idea, but that doesnt provide one point of isolation for the whole install.

D

DanBrown

It doesn't provide one point of isolation, but if their labelled up clearly and placed in the same location, why not isolate them all, if needs be?.. A qualified electrician should be know to prove test prove then lock off..
Btw how was that testing sheet i sent you?:)

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply to Main switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom