Discuss main water bond new house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just bought a new house and was having a look at the niceic test sheet.

Main water bond is n/a

So checked it out. Water not bonded. 400mm of copper comes out main stop cock and rest of house is plastic push fit. However hot and cold out boiler is copper around 1.5m again rest push fit plastic

My understanding would be still to bond main water as there is copper.

Could anyone with more experience let me know why its not needed or is if??

If it was me and I saw a metal pipe coming out the ground, stop tap, then plastic I'd still bond it just so that I have covered my back. I did a kitchen the other week like this, the board was only the other side of the wall and was putting new circuits in anyway so ran an earth to it, ok it probably didn't need it.

If it was me and I saw a metal pipe coming out the ground, stop tap, then plastic I'd still bond it just so that I have covered my back. I did a kitchen the other week like this, the board was only the other side of the wall and was putting new circuits in anyway so ran an earth to it, ok it probably didn't need it.
if you had a metal pipe coming out of the ground...then a visual would generally be enough to confirm...

Hi guys

Just bought a new house and was having a look at the niceic test sheet.

Main water bond is n/a

So checked it out. Water not bonded. 400mm of copper comes out main stop cock and rest of house is plastic push fit. However hot and cold out boiler is copper around 1.5m again rest push fit plastic

My understanding would be still to bond main water as there is copper.

Could anyone with more experience let me know why its not needed or is if??

Push-fit plastic ..... UGH!! The spawn of the devil.

that's for plumbers that can't plumb. as for the remaining 10%, they use copper.

If plastic in and out, no copper, therefore no bond.

- - - Updated - - -

Even I use copper and solder my own joints when I did my bathroom Nd I'm not a plumber! The plastic brigade eh!

As it would constitute as an extraneous earth being brought into the Equipotential zone of the electrical installation it would be a ''Requirement''. It wouldn't matter even it it was a couple of inches before the stop cock/tap, it would still require main bonding to the MET!!

If plastic in and out, no copper, therefore no bond.

- - - Updated - - -

Even I use copper and solder my own joints when I did my bathroom Nd I'm not a plumber! The plastic brigade eh!

It doesn't matter how hard you try it always looks messy and amateurish.

I once did a job in a wifey's kitchen. It was plumb in her new sink and washing machine & dishwasher.

The first thing I did was take the door off the cupboard under the sink so it wouldn't get damaged and to give me a bit more room.

Later, job all done and I'm about to put the door back on when wifey came in to have a looksee. She was so impressed with all the correctly formed / routed copper pipework that she didn't want the door back on - she wanted to look at & polish the copper!

The door did go back on though.

In my view, the plastic stuff does have its uses as a Get Out of Jail Free Card when you just cant route a piece of copper where its needed, but that's about it.

It,s a worrying thing,my last apprentice now works for a large firm and was telling me the other day that he went to second fix on some new builds and the water was plastic in to the stopgap and plastic out,yet whoever had first fixed had run a bond to the water,the gas however was in a box in the floor outside yet they had not run a bond to it.makes you wonder sometimes.

Reply to main water bond new house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net