Discuss Main water bond? Stop cock metal but plastic afterwards. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What are you going to put your earth clamp on there is no internal pipework that can become live and it's all plastic so you can't bond it

The pipe coming out of the ground and the stop tap are extraneous conductive parts and should be bonded, unless they are completely inaccessible to touch.

I would like to see a short copper pipe from the stopcock to provide a method of attaching an earth bond to the stopcock.
after all, it is likely the stopcock itself will be extraneous and is designed to be accessible for its normal operation.

I would like to see a short copper pipe from the stopcock to provide a method of attaching an earth bond to the stopcock.
after all, it is likely the stopcock itself will be extraneous and is designed to be accessible for its normal operation.
Why what is the point it, if it was a PILC feeding the property and the DNO said it was a TT supply would you earth the lead sheath because it's extraneous or ask the DNO to install a MET

I can't understand this 15th edition bond everyting culture when we are on the 18th edition going back to when I was at college the 14th edition was what we were working to and the reason given by the college lecturer for bonding the gas and water metal pipes in a premises was to stop a premises fault feeding back onto the external metal gas and water network and giving an engineer working on the network a bad shock or possibly killing them

Why what is the point it, if it was a PILC feeding the property and the DNO said it was a TT supply would you earth the lead sheath because it's extraneous or ask the DNO to install a MET

I can't understand this 15th edition bond everyting culture when we are on the 18th edition going back to when I was at college the 14th edition was what we were working to and the reason given by the college lecturer for bonding the gas and water metal pipes in a premises was to stop a premises fault feeding back onto the external metal gas and water network and giving an engineer working on the network a bad shock or possibly killing them
If we have to be aware of and put measures in place against a PEN fault for an electric car charger, surely it makes common sense to make sure you don't have a similar problem when turning the water off?

the scenario i am imagining is that because of an external PEN fault, the earthed equipment in the home is at a voltage considerably above the local ground mass voltage.

because of this, when you go to turn off the water you complete the circuit between the adjacent washing machine earth that is well above the ground potential of the metal pipe and stopcock.

if it was a TT supply then it is unlikely to introduce a danger, however they are becoming more uncommon and as we know, the dno when they provide an earth at a later date than the installation do not check to ensure that the above scenario is protected against.

EDIT:
p.s. I am not trying to start an argument, I feel that this is a useful technical debate.

If we have to be aware of and put measures in place against a PEN fault for an electric car charger, surely it makes common sense to make sure you don't have a similar problem when turning the water off?

the scenario i am imagining is that because of an external PEN fault, the earthed equipment in the home is at a voltage considerably above the local ground mass voltage.

because of this, when you go to turn off the water you complete the circuit between the adjacent washing machine earth that is well above the ground potential of the metal pipe and stopcock.

if it was a TT supply then it is unlikely to introduce a danger, however they are becoming more uncommon and as we know, the dno when they provide an earth at a later date than the installation do not check to ensure that the above scenario is protected against.

EDIT:
p.s. I am not trying to start an argument, I feel that this is a useful technical debate.
From your response you didn't properly read my post
if it was a PILC feeding the property and the DNO said it was a TT supply would you earth the lead sheath because it's extraneous or ask the DNO to install a MET
And yes I have come across this exact problem where the DNO engineer who came to site told me I had a TT supply with the lead sheath of the PILC exposed and a plastic cut out that looked like it had been fitted a few years previously after I assume a metal service head had been replaced he wouldn't move on it so I contacted the DNO again and asked to speak to a senior engineer 2 days later a new MET was installed

Everyone bangs on about PEN faults if they are potentially so dangerous why do we use them but then again I have found quite a number of TNS supplies where the earth has failed out on the network

From your response you didn't properly read my post

And yes I have come across this exact problem where the DNO engineer who came to site told me I had a TT supply with the lead sheath of the PILC exposed and a plastic cut out that looked like it had been fitted a few years previously after I assume a metal service head had been replaced he wouldn't move on it so I contacted the DNO again and asked to speak to a senior engineer 2 days later a new MET was installed

Everyone bangs on about PEN faults if they are potentially so dangerous why do we use them but then again I have found quite a number of TNS supplies where the earth has failed out on the network
I did read your post.

Reply to Main water bond? Stop cock metal but plastic afterwards. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net