Discuss Mains bonding fail in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

danm1

Hi . have a quick question, hope you can help me with

A recent EICR found (amongst some other things ) that I have no mains bonding on the water supply.

I have a stopcock at the end of the drive, but have never been able to locate an internal one (there was an extension built and short off knoccking out cupboards not sure we will find where they hid it) .

If we are unable to locate where the mains enters the building, would it be acceptable to bond on the property side of the outside stop cock and then run it back to the house (using appropriate protection to the earthing ‘board’ (sorry, don’t know the technical term…)

thanks in advance

I would test the continuity back to the met from the pipes under the sink and dependent on the readings decide from there.. That said what the hell would you do if a pipe burst inside the house

MET ? - sorry dumb customer here...

The stop cock on the driveway is well accessible, under a plate. actually easier than getting to the back of the kitchen cupboard for example

main earthing terminal - either in your CU or adjacent to it. Do you have a MFT?

Thanks-
yes there is what i assume to be mains earth terminal... Where the gas bonding and earth from the CU are going to from what i can see...

MFT has thrown me; but was the original suggestion effectively to determine if earthing at the sink would 'pass' based on whatever a test reading should be?

MFT = multi functional tester - owned by all competent sparks. Required to do necessary tests to see if your water needs bonding, or is bonded etc.

Thanks so much. So assume the MFT reading under the sink shows an reading that suggest it is bonded, would it pass an EICR (even where the bonding cannot be actually located)

I am getting the impression this guy actually wants to lay eyes on it...is that not required for a pass?

Thanks so much. So assume the MFT reading under the sink shows an reading that suggest it is bonded, would it pass an EICR (even where the bonding cannot be actually located)

I am getting the impression this guy actually wants to lay eyes on it...is that not required for a pass?

There would need to be visual evidence that main bonding is likely to be in place to the water service at the point of entry. This might be an otherwise unaccounted for suitably sized earth wire heading in the general direction of the water service.If that is the case then a test can be performed to verify a low continuity reading,if such a reading is obtained then a code 3 might be applied which means the bonding is not accessible for inspection and hence doesnt comply with the regs but is nonetheless satisfactory.
With no evidence of main bonding at all to the water and no means of accessing the point of entry to verify if bonding is required the result is always going to be unsatisfactory.
I dont hold with the practice of testing for continuty with no visual evidence at all of main bonding,because of parallel paths through pumps and water tanks/electric heaters connected to the system it is perfectly possible to get a reading suggesting bonding is in place when in fact there is none.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Mains bonding fail in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock