Discuss Mains cable from supply to consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, have a metre box 4m away from consumer unit, there is going to be an extension on the side adding an extra 4m so the metre box is getting moved to end of house again. Total length will b 10-12m, at the min the 25mm tails are going from mains to fuse switch with an 25mm 3core swa supplying the consumer unit. I’ve said he’ll have to basically run a new 25mm swa from the fuse switch by the mains to the consumer unit. Correct?

How come I get a 'Dislike' @Charlie_ ?
I cry when people don't like my posts... :sob::sob::sob:

Ta mate...

Ohh so sorry
Thanks for bringing that to my attention..
I am currently using my phone, winding down drinking a beer and my thumbs are slightly misfiring

Let you off mate. I can stop crying now.

Ohh so sorry
Thanks for bringing that to my attention..
I am currently using my phone, winding down drinking a beer and my thumbs are slightly misfiring
Ratted again then Charlie, careful don't drink and post at the same time.

I manage and play our local football team but there is no game this week.,
She was bloody made up when someone else told her

Hi, have a metre box 4m away from consumer unit, there is going to be an extension on the side adding an extra 4m so the metre box is getting moved to end of house again. Total length will b 10-12m, at the min the 25mm tails are going from mains to fuse switch with an 25mm 3core swa supplying the consumer unit. I’ve said he’ll have to basically run a new 25mm swa from the fuse switch by the mains to the consumer unit. Correct?

Does it really need a 25mm SWA from the switch-fuse ? Unless there are a couple of electric showers,all electric heating and cooking I'd be considering 16mm and a 63a cartridge in the switch-fuse, 25mm is a pain to work with in a domestic setting.

Wouldn’t using split concentric and installation method, make it more likely ending up with RCD protection?
Agree MW, reading 522.6.202 it is possible to run cable in a wall at less than 50mm and not use an RCD. But the cable must be in a zone and must comply with 522.6.204, which includes a list of qualifying cable specs (among other methods). I think split con is BS4553-1 and it's not on that list. However SWA (BS5467, BS6724 and BS7846) and Pyro (BS60702-1) are on it.

Reply to Mains cable from supply to consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock