Discuss Mains change on install with solar PV in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been asked to upgrade an old Wylex fuse box to a modern consumer unit in a property, simple enough. But the property has a solar pv system installed . Having a quick look all I can see in the mains cupboard is a gewis isolator marked solar pv. having no experience with solar pv installs just wondered if changing the mains is going to affect the solar install?
All the inverter equipment and such is mounted in the loft. Unsure how the system is connected Into the house is it through the meter outside or the consumer unit?
Any advise much appreciated!

Last edited:
It should have been changed at time of install or a seperate one if under current MCS or BlueSky accreditation IIRC, it will not effect the installation, if anything it will make it safer.

I think it may be best for you to post up exactly what you plan to do and how you will be splitting the circuits , just so the pv boys on here can guide you through any unforeseen issues that way be raised ?
I take it you are planning to just put the solar circuit back in on a standard split load twin rcd board , which would be a bit of a no,no straight out !
PS , not having a dig as i think your spot on for asking !!!

What would be the correct way to tackle this job. At the moment the property is running an eight way Wylex board but it's not got the BS3036 rewirable fuses it has the retrofit mcb's conversion with the middle cut out the cover plate so it can be fitted on. The customer wants it all upgrading to current equipment . What's the rules and regs regarding the solar pv install???

Sorry I thought you were a client but read again, read 712 its only a couple of pages, not got it to hand at the moment, take care to read 411. You will need to know the inverter model to decide if Type "B" RCD is required although I say put one in anyway.

It is straight forward but might be worth getting a decision reference earthing / bonding, as if there is no upto date CU I would assume other issues may be lurking in the midst.

What would be the correct way to tackle this job. At the moment the property is running an eight way Wylex board but it's not got the BS3036 rewirable fuses it has the retrofit mcb's conversion with the middle cut out the cover plate so it can be fitted on. The customer wants it all upgrading to current equipment . What's the rules and regs regarding the solar pv install???

There is an advantage spilting the incoming tails and placing an Henley Block and 100amp Isolator / garage CU with 16amp MCB to connect the PV on its own circuit.... then the replacement of the CU is more straight forward for you and has no direct connection with the CU

I would use a high integrity board and put the PV on one of the unprotected ways on a 16A MCB, assuming you don't need an RCD for reasons under 7671.
If you do need an RCD you could do the above and use an RCBO or as above fit a garage unit. You may find it nuisance trips on a 30ma RCD though, you may need a 100ma, and possibly even a type B RCD (different to a type B MCB) as above.

Reply to Mains change on install with solar PV in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net