Discuss Mains frequency effect on cookers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gdi2k

I live in the UAE and purchased a cooker here, which I would now like to send to the Philippines. However, there is a difference in mains frequency between the two countries, and I'm worried that the cooker may not work in the Philippines, or only work dangerously.

According to Wikipedia, Philippines voltage is 220V / 60 Hz while UAE is 220 V / 50 Hz.

I've read that motors are especially affected by this issue, and the cooker does have at least one electric fan, maybe more (plus a rotary spit thing that I've never use and probably never will).

If it matters, the cooker is a Bompani BO 683 AW/E. Unfortunately I don't have the manual to hand, and the website and brochures don't give frequency requirements for cookers (although they do specify them for fridges, at 50 Hz only). I was able to find some user manuals for other cooker brands that stated 50 / 60 Hz - perhaps they don't have fans...

What do you think?

On the back of the cooker there should be a ratings plate. This should tell you what frequencies the unit will work on.

Thanks - the cooker is currently in storage and getting access is a pain. Is there a general rule of thumb for these things, or does it really differ from one appliance to the next? It would be useful for planning if I could make an a general assumption at this stage...

Or send an email to manufacturer.

the increase in frequency will make the motors run faster, as ns= 60f/p. not so sure what it would do to the heating elements though! as you are getting an extra 10 rotations per second, im GUESSING that it would get hotter, or heat up quicker. maybe somebody more educated than me will tell you definitavley

The element wont get any hotter or heat up any faster, it is to all intents and purposes a purely resistive device, operating at 220 volts RMS, so the amount of heat produced is frequency independent.

Absolute worst case you may need to replace the fan, perhaps the maker has a like for like replacement they can direct you to if that is the case. The fan may or may not be ok, many of the motors used nowadays are multiple frequency anyway to simplify the manufacturing process.

Also to add to the good advice above if its got a digital programmer or timer then best check with manufacturers as these may be rectified and electronics may be affected too.

Thanks for the excellent advice all. Sounds like I needn't be too worried - if the fan dies I'm sure I could find a fitting replacement even if the manufacturer didn't have a drop in replacement available.

I did write to the manufacturer but never got a response.

I face the same issues with a Dyson and an LG washing machine. LG lists 50 Hz specifically in the manual so that sounds like a no go, but I'll check with Dyson direct - they're much smaller and may just make a couple of models to cover all their markets.

Reply to Mains frequency effect on cookers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock