Discuss Mains hook up problem. Is this possible? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve2

I would like to be able to plug a mobile catering trailer up to a mains source.

The trailer is behind a hire shop and the manager has agreed to come to an arrangement that will allow us to hook our trailer up to his mains if I can find out how to do it legally taking into consideration all the health and safety regulations.

I am completely clueless when it comes to matters electrical, I struggle to switch on a light let alone change a bulb so I wouldnt have a clue what is required or how to do it.

If it was a gas issue I would most probably start by giving Gas Safe a ring but I do not know the equivalent body for things electrical so I cant do that. Instead I have found this forum and was hoping that some of you experts could give me some pointers.

I am unsure as to what info you will require so I will give you some info off the installers certificate:

"The system is designed to be fed from an external source via 16A connector to trailer source must have over current protection and earth connection.

Trailer has mini consumer unit 63A 30MA RCD as main switch and 1 x 20A MCB and 1 x 6A MCB.

Incoming supply from 16A plugto consumer unit via 4mm live neutral and 1.5mm earth/crc"

The handwriting is not clear in a couple of places so I apologise if there is anything that does not make sense above.

Now the tricky bit. What I have to do is get the supply from the hire shop to the van. The van will be moved at the end of the trading day so any connection will be 'temporary' and therefore need to be unplugged and made secure.

The route from the shop to the van is across a public pavement. it is not a well used public footpath but it is still a public footpath which belongs to the council and it does get used. The hire shop backs on to its own private land - a five foot strip of uncultivates soil and weeds running parallel to the shop. Here it is:

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=53.473572,-2.193918&spn=0.003301,0.010568&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.473566,-2.193789&panoid=36i-7CrwQDlnD_c5ZsCG-g&cbp=12,272.77,,0,4.87

The trailer will be placed parallel to the main road with the external trailer plug on the right hand side as you are looking at the picture. So the trailer will be close to the street lamp by the hire shop.

I really do not want to run a generator if possible, but given all the regulations that are going to be involved, due to the public footpath and perhaps other considerations, is it going to be possible for me to do this? And if it is possible what are the complications and how much is it likely to cost? I would be grateful for any advice. Please take into consideration that we are going to be unplugging the power source at the end of each day and also that I have absolutely no knowledge of things electrical.

not a difficult job. the biggest thing will be to get supply to socket on wall, and cable across pavement will require a rubber channel to stop damage and trip hazard. council permission may be needed. and the circuit to the socket will need testing and certification. definitely not a DIY job.

No, I am sure you are right. Like I say I am clueless when it comes to electrical work. I hadn't expected to find the thread in the DIY section. This is where the mods placed it. And yes I think it will have to be a certified set up.

several of us are close to manc. what area of the city are you?

Can anyone help me with this? Anyone know what the regulations are for a job like this? Or what I can expect to pay for materials and labour? Or point me in the direction of where I might get some help?

Reply to Mains hook up problem. Is this possible? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net