Discuss Mains operated interconnected smoke alarm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.
My Local Authority has expressly stated that I need mains powered and cable interconnected smoke alarms. they do not approve the wireless system.

Once, I have confirmed the presence of permanent live in the ceiling rose I will use the trunking and clips mentioned to complete this task.

I also thought there was a "heat resistant" type 3 core and earth cable. Perhaps I should use that for the interconnect?

Thanks again
Challenge the Local Authority and ask where in the Regulations it says that wireless interlinked systems are unacceptable, which council is this? if they insist ask for it in writing.

Radio links are acceptable by most all authorities, what they are probably saying is the power to the alarms are to be from the mains to charge the non replaceable batteries, in this case the alarms can be powered from any lighting rose or power within the ceiling without the need for trunking or drilling walls.

- Thirdly, whilst the smoke detectors need to be daisy chained with the 3 core and earth cable, how do I install an Aico Fire Control Switch? Remote Control Alarm Switch 230v Mains - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1148678-remote-control-alarm-switch-230v-mains?gclid=16b5a446064114559754c4ddd79e91a2&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=16b5a446064114559754c4ddd79e91a2

Is this just like another smoke detector in the sense that it should be included in the daisy chain i.e. one cable in and one out to the next detector?

Yes - control switch fitted as though it were another head.

Challenge the Local Authority and ask where in the Regulations it says that wireless interlinked systems are unacceptable, which council is this? if they insist ask for it in writing.

Radio links are acceptable by most all authorities, what they are probably saying is the power to the alarms are to be from the mains to charge the non replaceable batteries, in this case the alarms can be powered from any lighting rose or power within the ceiling without the need for trunking or drilling walls.
I can query again but the lady from council was categoric. The interlink should be cables and not wireless.

Speak to someone else at the council (again, which council? Your county location)

I’ve had a recent customer, who on one hand was being told he needed a mains interconnected heat alarm in his kitchen and a carbon dioxide monitor in his bedroom...

And a sensible council official saying the kitchen wasn’t a recent change so didn’t need it.... and a carbon dioxide monitor in a 200 year old house with single glazed windows was totally pointless.

(carbon dioxide monitors being installed in new build passive homes where there is no ventilation. Different to carbon monoxide alarms)

I can query again but the lady from council was categoric. The interlink should be cables and not wireless.
Request to see the evidence to support Thier stance. If they can't provide it, ignore it, if they can't find it to show you then they won't find it to hit you with either.

We install Aico alarms only

The mains bases have a bit that snaps out to allow YT2 mini trunking.

Also- BS5839 Pt6 has been updated to allow 10 year sealed radio linked detectors.
As others have said - ask the council officer for documentation requiring the mains only ones

The 10 year ones do work and last- the Aico ones even bounce the signal from one detector to others in a 'mesh' type of system. This way if the alarming unit is almost out of range of the furthest unit the ones on the way pass the alarm signal on (as well as the silence signal)

Hi Guys,

The LA is Bucks. I could have gone back and challenged their view on this. I appreciate your help with this.
In the interim, I was able to identify a route which has minimal trunking on display. All of upstairs is free of trunking as the power and interconnect cables are routed through the loft. The interconnect cable downstairs is run through a cupboard in the landing and I've also been able to minimise trunking that is visible on the ground floor.
I have complete trunking and cabling and now need to fix and wire in all the detectors. I have not connected the power supply yet.

Will share pics once complete. Thanks again.

Reply to Mains operated interconnected smoke alarm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock