Discuss Mains or Low voltage downlights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piperm

Im looking to buy some downlights for the canopy on the front of an house but im not sure which will be easier and better off to work with. I am more tempted by low voltage but would mains be better brightness?

The ones i've priced up are not i.p rated but this is ok as water wont be able to get to them in their positions but even so im guessing this itself makes having low voltage the better option?

Plus the low voltage ones are a pack of 6 so im presuming there will be 1 driver unit and i've just got to wire to this and hey-presto. is this correct??

Finally is there any difference in brightness between low voltage and mains?? I've asked the question and the mains and lv both come with 50w Lamps (gu10s or MR16 respectevly)

Cheers

Matt

Go LV give a brighter light ensure you get correct IP rated Downlighters asthey must offer suitable IP rate also must be on RCD / RCBO as being outside they are outside Equipotential Zone

As above , the IP rating is important mate , we just done some about 3 weeks ago around a bungalow and at night looks really smart mate, also installed an outside weatherproof S/O for there crimbo tree as well, they always crop up alot this time of yr.

As above , the IP rating is important mate , we just done some about 3 weeks ago around a bungalow and at night looks really smart mate, also installed an outside weatherproof S/O for there crimbo tree as well, they always crop up alot this time of yr.

yeah i kno about the ip lads.. just more dollar for ip rated lights

yeah i kno about the ip lads.. just more dollar for ip rated lights

Anything outside should be ip rated to some degree in my opinion, regardless whether they will be in the elements or not they will still be subject to moisture in the air being outside, do it right once and it won't need doing again;)

Reply to Mains or Low voltage downlights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net