Discuss Mains or Low voltage garden lighting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently remodelling my garden and going to be installing some decking lights, spike lights and up/down lights on my fence.

I just wondered what were peoples opinions on using either 12v or mains powered lights

Was looking at switching it using the quinetic wireless switch

Could anybody recommend any of the above lights that they have used previously?

All advice welcome

I've always found ELV garden lighting unreliable and often of poor quality. A properly installed mains system and good quality lights for me every time.
Think carefully about sinking lights into decking, always looks naff IMO, better to create pools of light from lighting above the decking

I've always found ELV garden lighting unreliable and often of poor quality. A properly installed mains system and good quality lights for me every time.
Think carefully about sinking lights into decking, always looks naff IMO, better to create pools of light from lighting above the decking
This was my immediate thoughts, running SWA to area then terminating in whiska box (with gel) and using the prewire spike lights and their flex in black flexible conduit. Controlled using wireless quinetic switch

Yes that was my thinking, but was unsure where to put driver. Didn't want a large JB mounted on my fence, or have i got no choice really?

What is max length of leads on 12v lighting

Length of a 12V cable will be giverned by the voltage drop, which is pretty significant at that voltage. There is no maximum length as long as you can get a cable big enough.

I wouldnt install an ELV garden lighting system personally.

Hi

I am currently remodelling my garden and going to be installing some decking lights, spike lights and up/down lights on my fence.

I just wondered what were peoples opinions on using either 12v or mains powered lights

Was looking at switching it using the quinetic wireless switch

Could anybody recommend any of the above lights that they have used previously?

All advice welcome
Mains Voltage in the UK is LV!!

Yes that was my thinking, but was unsure where to put driver. Didn't want a large JB mounted on my fence, or have i got no choice really?

What is max length of leads on 12v lighting

I have a mixture of Philips Hue and Collingwood elv lighting in my garden. Works perfectly.

I’ve put the Collingwood drivers in Wago enclosures. The Hue’s driver & controller in a suitable convenient spot.

The manufacturers will give you guidance on cable lengths. Some like the Hue stuff come in kits.

You have to forgive the joking here!
To a power engineer anything below 1000V AC is "low voltage".
Medium voltage is 1-35kV
High voltage is 35-230kV
Extra high Voltage is above 230kV
(though IEC calls anything above 1kV "high voltage")

What any normal sane person would consider low voltage is something that is usually safe to touch in most conditions, that is usually considered below 50V AC and called Extra Low Voltage in there parts.

Reply to Mains or Low voltage garden lighting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net