Discuss mains powered smoke alarms with out battery backup in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daveyboy

Out of curiousity, is there a regulation thats states mains smoke alarms have to have a battery backup? Obviously make sense to for just a few extra quid.

Its all covered in the relevant BS for fire alarms. Can't remember the BS number though, but a web search will give you all the info you need.

No battery backup is about as much use as a chocolate kettle, if there is a power cut in the night, the alarms wont work!

Cheers.........Howard

BS 5839 is the relevant British Standard.

Approved Document B1 of the building regs is also applicable.

In new builds a category D, LD2 system is the minimum required system to be installed.

If you look uo the definitions of categories, you will see a category D system is one with mains powered alarms WITH a battery back up.

Tell them it's a Legal Requirement for you to fit Alarms that have Battery Backup.
Ther'es some strange folk about, a few years back we had a Local Authority contract to Fit smokes in all of their properties. Went to 1 house & the woman told us to F off, she did'nt want them. I tried to tell her they were free & could save hers & kids lives in the event of a fire, her answer was why bother we've all gotta die sooner or later.

cant be as bad as these empty heads the other day.....they`d snipped all three alarms as "they woke me up at 3:00 AM".....ffs.....found it on a PIR....an instant 1 and a report to the letting agent they`d been at it with the water bonding n all....yanked it off the BS951 as "it was in the way"......steve (letting agent) says he`s gonna bill em (tennent/s) for this lot n all........

Reply to mains powered smoke alarms with out battery backup in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net