Discuss Mains Smoke Detector in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Newbie90

Hi all,

A friend of mine is renting out his 1 bedroom flat which currently has a battery operated smoke detector.

Is it a requirement to have a mains operated smoke detector if the property is being rented out?

Also I have seen a lot of electricians use different methods of wiring. Some tap off the lighting circuit with no isolation point, some tap off the lighting circuit with a FCU and some provide a separate circuit. Just seeing what method the majority of people use...

Thanks

Hi all,

A friend of mine is renting out his 1 bedroom flat which currently has a battery operated smoke detector.

Is it a requirement to have a mains operated smoke detector if the property is being rented out?

Also I have seen a lot of electricians use different methods of wiring. Some tap off the lighting circuit with no isolation point, some tap off the lighting circuit with a FCU and some provide a separate circuit. Just seeing what method the majority of people use...

Thanks

No requirement but most local authorities would expect it and its not a bad idea , never seen a smoke tapped off with a fcu, no need for that, but off a regularly used light isn't a bad idea as you know when the circuit goes down.

Ok thanks.

I have seen electricians use a FCU so that it can be isolated (possible for maintenance) without isolating the lighting circuit.

I personally would tap off a commonly used lighting circuit such as the hallway as you said. By using a separate circuit, the tenants will never know if the smoke detector has lost it's supply.

Ok thanks.

I have seen electricians use a FCU so that it can be isolated (possible for maintenance) without isolating the lighting circuit.

I personally would tap off a commonly used lighting circuit such as the hallway as you said. By using a separate circuit, the tenants will never know if the smoke detector has lost it's supply.

Years ago when i did council flat rewires they had their own supply, but only because it was specified.

Urban mythes grow around this but a mains/battery detector i preferable to a battery unit plus up here if it works then fine but any problems then upgrade it and thats the thinking from one of the letting agents I do work for.

Most mains smoke have battery back up, so if power was lost they beep every few minutes to let you know there was something wrong

Ok thanks.

If coming off a lighting circuit you could use a double pole switch for an isolator, rather than an FCU where the fuse will be redundant. I would only use a lighting circuit if retro-fitting mains alarms where running a new circuit back to the consumer unit would be impossible, or the alarms do not have a battery 'beep' for lost mains. I much prefer them to be on their own circuit.

If coming off a lighting circuit you could use a double pole switch for an isolator, rather than an FCU where the fuse will be redundant. I would only use a lighting circuit if retro-fitting mains alarms where running a new circuit back to the consumer unit would be impossible, or the alarms do not have a battery 'beep' for lost mains. I much prefer them to be on their own circuit.

Why not fit a DP FCU then

Nope, no requirement for separate isolation. I suppose it could be handy in the once-in-a-blue-moon event of changing an alarm in the hours of darkness, but don't think most people would bother.

Yes they can come straight off the mains feed for the lights continuing the 1.0/1.5mm t+e mains cable to the first alarm, then carrying on to the others in the same CSA 3core.

Think of your circuit as a 6 amp circuit, which happens to have lights and alarms on, rather than a lighting-only circuit that has been hijacked with alarms.

Coz there's no point in having another fuse!

Yes there is if you are testing the circuit or you need to isolate it to say change a battery. I do work for letting agents and for some reason a lot of detectors indicate a low battery during the night with tenant hauling them of the ceiling because they turned off the circuit when they went to remove the head leaving them in the dark lol

Isn't that the argument in favour of a DP switch for isolation? I just don't see the value in introducing a fuse into the circuit.

(All I need now is for someone to point out the smoke alarms instructions demand they are protected by a 3 amp fuse, like those stupid bathroom fans!)

Isn't that the argument in favour of a DP switch for isolation? I just don't see the value in introducing another fuse into the circuit.

Yep I agree and as I said this subject is full of urban myths thats because say a local council decides it wants a DPFCU but another says no put it on with the same lighting circuit so its open to debate mind I am not complaining if the tenant hauls it off the ceiling its a job for me lol

I've wondered about that as well. Approved Document B (Fire safety), Volume 1 (Dwellinghouses), section 1.19 says "There should be a means of isolating power to the smoke alarms without isolating the lighting" but manufactures instructions I have looked at say "The circuit used to power the alarm must be a 24 hour voltage circuit that cannot be turned off by a switch". Not sure how you are supposed to comply with both of those, an unswitched FCU maybe. I think I'd prefer no separate isolation for the smokes but I'm not sure that is allowed.

Reply to Mains Smoke Detector in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net