Discuss Mains surge blowing eurotherm controllers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris_topher

On Saturday evening there war a huge mains surge that left all our eurtherm controllers fried. All fuses were in tact. How can this happen?

Great forum.

Are they single to 3 phase inverters if so its possible a lost neutral on supply could have created a floating star point seeing voltages up to 400v on single phase equipment .. was anything else effected and are the drives on common supply? "

its all on 3 ph, one psu for a laptop died, and an oven in another part of the site failed. I've been told there was a huge power outage on that evening when all our kit went down. How come the fuses don't blow then? I know this is not a new scenario but was just wandering how it can happen

Quick question first, do you have inductors (chokes) on the supplies?

I've had this happen with Eurotherm before but that was due to a general voltage rise at the weekend. 10 drives smoked over each W/E for 3 weeks. The wholesaler we bought them off was getting a bit pee'd off after the 2nd W/E so we had to stump up for the last lot. That's when I got involved.
One of our own intake transformers had a failed on load tap changer. Our plants were geting 490V instead of 433V when the load on the rest of the work eased off during the W/E. One thing I recommeneded was that when the plant was shut down over night and at the W/E was to isolate the drives.

Cant ask for a better explanation than tony already given but as for your fuses not blowing query- they are looking at current flow not voltage, so a voltage spike could easily blow sensitive equipment like electronics without operating the fuse, even if your inverters were protected by semi-conductor fuses internally or external as ofter found associated with inverters i still believe this would occur without them operating unless the voltage rise created an internal short circuit but again damage already done in this case.

Reply to Mains surge blowing eurotherm controllers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net