Discuss Mains to log cabins in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Freen0

Hello, I am looking at setting up some log cabins on my land and I wanted some advice regarding mains wiring to the cabins. I'm looking at saving costs where I can so was hoping to lay all the underground shielded cabling to the cabins myself and then hire a electrician to connect the cabins and connect to the main distribution unit in my house.

I understand there will be some complications here so advice would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at multiple cabins so i will need to have a review of the supply into my house and the distribution unit that exists currently to see if it can handle the capacity without additional feeds or going to 3 phase (which I doubt it will), does anyone know what the costs are of connecting additional grid connections to the house (assuming I'm on a mail road with mains connection - say 25m away)

At this stage this is very early days and I'm looking for very rough pricing to see if its worthwhile.

I have also looked into using solar or wind power to compensate the grid power, I'm not sure how effective this will be to help the load on the mains.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

your best bet is to get your electrician to design the distribution for these cabins, then you coud lay the cable according to his instructions. he will then need to test it before and after you infil trenches.

^^^^ What he said. Not really a good idea to guess the design and then expect an electrician to come along, 2nd fix and sign off. Also materials are expensive for this so you only want to do it once.

Employer an electrical designer will save alot of money in the long run. Working with a contractor as you say will help save money laying the cables....ideas like this need careful planning, and most i have worked on treat the cabins as caravans...so consult with the designer to look at bottle or tanked pumped gas, for heating/water/cooking, leaving a minimal electrical supply required.

Reply to Mains to log cabins in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net