Discuss "Make sure your extension has a surge protector" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

its daisychaining them thats the worst....
especially when their using them to feed heaters etc....
Try telling that to the general public who "just want it to work".
OK the whole lot will be protected by a 13A fuse which theoretically should blow if overloaded to protect the cable, but you don't know if they've used a 6A extension and put a 13A fuse in there because it's all they had to hand, or wrapped the fuse in foil because it kept blowing or something stupid like that.

I think these electrical basics should be taught in school i.e max wattage & current of extension leads & what size fuses to fit in plug tops.
The 'watch managers' comment on 'unraveling the extension lead could have been put better.

The 'watch managers' comment on 'unraveling the extension lead could have been put better.

Yeah, I thought that as well. I was expecting, before I read the article, for them to say that's how the fire started. My leads have a thermal cut-out which trips if the reel overheats, more useful than a surge protector I think.

Shame they didn't mention these little beauties.....

2013-01-09 10.05.03.jpg

Shame they didn't mention these little beauties.....

View attachment 16763
I'm sure the unfused ones were 'banned' years ago, but it's difficult to know how many are still in use.
The same goes for those plug in socket 'protectors' which unfortunately haven't been banned yet even though they make a socket less safe.
Go to FatallyFlawed for more information; a cause championed by Adam Hart-Davies and Johnny Ball off of the telly, and Tony off of this forum.

I’m going to make an admission here.

Behind my desk there are 3 four point extension leads. I’m not happy with them but they serve a purpose. The plug tops to each has a 3A fuse in. They would be even less if I could find the box of fuses I put so carefully away!

Extension leads are fine in the hands of a knowable person. A fire waiting to happen when used indiscriminately.

Due to arthritis I’ve got to wait until GlennSpark comes to visit me to extend the RFC with a spur via a 3A FCU to 10 MK K1257 sockets. It really pi$$es me off I can’t hold a chisel any more! I would have thrown the extension leads in the bin (plugs chopped off) yonks ago. But needs must.

Now who’s man enough to admit just what is lurking behind their desk?

I’m going to make an admission here.

Behind my desk there are 3 four point extension leads. I’m not happy with them but they serve a purpose. The plug tops to each has a 3A fuse in. They would be even less if I could find the box of fuses I put so carefully away!

Extension leads are fine in the hands of a knowable person. A fire waiting to happen when used indiscriminately.

Due to arthritis I’ve got to wait until GlennSpark comes to visit me to extend the RFC with a spur via a 3A FCU to 10 MK K1257 sockets. It really pi$$es me off I can’t hold a chisel any more! I would have thrown the extension leads in the bin (plugs chopped off) yonks ago. But needs must.

Now who’s man enough to admit just what is lurking behind their desk?

I have a spare pack of 2A fuses i can put in the mail...

I've got a cheap chinese 6 way below my desk. Not a CE marking in sight and it looks cheap and nasty. There's also no fuse in the plug top as it's a European plug. But a power strip burning up is the least of my worries over here!

????????!!!!!!!!!!

You really are going to have ease up on them horse tranqualisers!

Best I can get, (cheap)

I have a spare pack of 2A fuses i can put in the mail...

I'll leave it untill Glen's done the work.

Thank you for the offer, it's nice to know there are some genuine lads still out there. It's pure idlenes on my part. The wholesale warehouse is only 200Mtr past the pub.

????????!!!!!!!!!!

You really are going to have ease up on them horse tranqualisers!

Could always get my mate Marcus from the local pub to do it.

Hhhmm thinking about it, Marcus would be the better option. Non of this crap about regulations. Here when I whistle, shifts the furnature and paints the room afterwards. All while I'm in Harrogate.

Bit of a no brainer really, except I have to strip everything he's done so I'm happy in my own mind.

The biggest issue I have with this statement from this watch manager is the surge protection device !!! I'm pretty sure he must have picked this up because of the recent admission in the amended regs with concern towards SPD.

Let's be honest here to be a watch manager or a fire man all you need to know is don't touch the yellow/orangey thing in the corner, and do you like a drink son ........... which was told to me by the chief fire officer at Riyadh airport many moons ago.

Seriously pretty good advice about the daisy chaining, but in all honesty if the lead has not been tampered with in any way, then that first one will never take more load than it is designed for which is a maximum of 13amps.

As the Rock points out it is the dreaded cube blocks that could be problems

My mrs is from Taiwan and when her friends come visit they bring all sorts of adaptors and extensions for their laptops phones an whatnot.
As soon as I saw what they were planning to plug in I stopped them straight away. Wish I had taken some pictures to put on here but you don't exactly think about that at the time.

Tuttle, are you from reading?

My mrs is from Taiwan and when her friends come visit they bring all sorts of adaptors and extensions for their laptops phones an whatnot.
As soon as I saw what they were planning to plug in I stopped them straight away. Wish I had taken some pictures to put on here but you don't exactly think about that at the time.

Tuttle, are you from reading?

Yeah, Reading.

I had some involvement a few years back on our local emergency response team,this was set up to help deal with the aftermath of fires,we turned out to all kinds but most of it was domestic incidents. I went to one caused by a washing machine,that was actually turned off at the washer but left on at socket,a fault caused a fire wrecking the house as doors were left open,another interesting one occured on a miserable wet day,it was all cloudy except for a band of sun low down in the sky,this was reflected by a shaving mirror on the window sill onto an aerosol can which overheated and exploded wrecking the bathroom.the double adapters were responsible for a lot of electrical fires, not only through overloading but also by the extra weight damaging the contact tubes in the socket leading to arcing.Candles were the main cause of house fires,especially those tea lights,we were shown pictures of a lady who had placed them around her bath and she had added those fancy oils to the water as they do,unfortunately a candle fell into the bath igniting the liquid,believe it or not a lot of the stuff women put in a bath is flammable, the poor lady ended up with severe burns over most of her body.Watch those bath oils and candles.

I'm sure the unfused ones were 'banned' years ago, but it's difficult to know how many are still in use.

Sadly still on sale on UK High Streets.

Reply to "Make sure your extension has a surge protector" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net