Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Make your mind up! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

imago

-
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

The house I'm working on at the minute has the ground floor lighting wired with switched lives. The live at the hall/landing switch then feeds up into the loft and the first floor is wired loop-in. The front half of the house has the floor joists running side to side across the house, in the back half of the house they run front to back. P****d me right off trying to run cables.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
E

Engineer54

Must be a substantial load bearing wall going across the middle of the house to have that arrangement. Pretty common on the older 3 story houses/buildings....

imago

-
Arms
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a two storey three bed semi, with nothing particularly unsual in design or layout other than those I mentioned. I've seen them mixed on three or four story houses where they run east - west on the first floor, north - south on the second etc.

The load bearing wall is just 3" brick on the ground floor with a couple of doorways in it which have concrete lintels. All the first floor internal walls are lath and plaster. I found a pre-war Player's cigarette packet in one of them.

Just one of those oddities that keep you on your toes I guess. It'd be boring if they were all the same.

Reply to Make your mind up! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom