Discuss Making Tax Digital (MTD) .............. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Who the hell still uses paper?

Many, many, many people it would seem .......

Its not just about paper - MTD means you need software to send the information to HMRC - listen to the podcast ............

Many, many, many people it would seem .......

Its not just about paper - MTD means you need software to send the information to HMRC - listen to the podcast ............

I cannot be bothered. It is well overdue and things need to be brought into the modern age.

Last edited by a moderator:
This video seems to explain simply what is and isn't acceptable in terms of Excel submissions.
After watching it, as an exercise, I exported our last Sage VAT return to a two tab excel file (detail and summary) and replaced the text output with formula, then replaced the box 1-9 text output on the 'summary' tab with calculations pulling the respective values in from the 'detail' tab. I added a check formula for boxes 1-9 to confirm 0 variance between my formula and the initial Sage data. It took about 10 minutes to make an MTD compliant Excel file.

Sage (and others) want to use MTD to force people onto their 'pay monthly' cloud based software. Reality is for us and probably most small businesses, this will just add cost and no benefit, which is why we won't be going there!

I'm not sure if they are introducing all eligible businesses onto MTD at once (which, if so, will likely become another government disaster) however both our companies have had notification that the Jan-Mar VAT returns (due the first week in May) are the last quarter that can be filed 'the old way'. I see there is the option to go onto MTD straight away, however if you do this, you can't change your mind and revert.

Reply to Making Tax Digital (MTD) .............. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock