Discuss Makita AVT or not on hammer drills in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

has anyone noticed if there is much of a difference in the vibes to the user between a Rotary hammer and an AVT Rotary Hammer drill?

For example Makita HR2611F v HR2610.

I am wondering if it is worth the extra few quid for AVT (Anti Vibration Technology)

I decided to buy the HR2611 with AVT (Anti Vibration Technology). I have just had a carpal tunnel operation on my wrist so am keen to keep the vibes low. I'll report back here later after I have used it a while.

Would be interested to hear any feedback on this. My work buddy also has carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands/wrists and is in need of a new drill.
Piece of advice for you though. My mate had the op on one wrist and has seen little to no improvement to it. I put this down to him not resting it up enough after the op. He was advised 2 months rest, and probably gave it a week before swinging lump hammers again. Rest that paw for the medically advised time.

Re: Makita AVT or not on hammer drills, vibes effect on hands

Would be interested to hear any feedback on this. My work buddy also has carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands/wrists and is in need of a new drill.
Piece of advice for you though. My mate had the op on one wrist and has seen little to no improvement to it. I put this down to him not resting it up enough after the op. He was advised 2 months rest, and probably gave it a week before swinging lump hammers again. Rest that paw for the medically advised time.

My operation needed light duties for the first 8 weeks, but then the consultant explained that more vigorous massage is needed to break up the deep vertical cut of scar tissue so as to to allow each layer of the skin and stuff below to knit properly. The cure for my numb fingers was instant after the operation, also got back some of the lost sensitivity (I was lucky on that last part). But the scar has been quite sensitive for many months since. For example doing press ups is pretty uncomfortable on the hand, if not impossible for the first three months after the op'. After the operation the most difficult things were using a hammer or axe and sawing by hand. Strangely recently I still got an dull ache after a day of painting a fence at home. But all of the down sides is well worth the hassle because I no longer wake up at night with my hand numb or find my hand is numb after a few hours using the same hand tool. My hand even used to go numb when holding the mobile phone for a long conversation! Much better now, but need to decide if to have the other hand done next.

Re: Makita AVT or not on hammer drills, vibes effect on hands

First observation on using the Makita 2611 AVT drill is the detail on vibration spec's in the manual:-
Hammer mode drilling concrete 12 m/s (15m/s for the same non AVT tool)
Chiseling function 9 m/s (9.5m/s ditto)
Drilling metal 2.5 m/s (2.5 m/s)​
If you look at the HSE vibration limit (5 m/s A/8) calculator you will see the AVT version for hammer drilling gives you 1 hour 23 minutes of trigger time a day. For the non AVT version you get 53 minutes of trigger time.
For Chiseling you get 2 hours 28 minutes a day before the limit is reached on AVT, and a few minutes less for the non AVT tool.

For those of us who have been exposed to vibration for many years already, then we are probably interested in staying below the 2.5m/s A/8 limit. Which is somewhat lower that the figures above. This means for hammer drilling with AVT you get 21 minutes of trigger time as opposed to 13 minutes on the non AVT. Similarly you get 38 min's of chiseling with the AVT version.

Maybe this tells us that we should chisel out our chases on a different day to our drilling walls for back boxes. Also, if fixing loads of tray and conduit to concrete surfaces, then make sure you are using decent sharp bits not knacked old blunt ones that are many years old.

Last edited:
Hi

has anyone noticed if there is much of a difference in the vibes to the user between a Rotary hammer and an AVT Rotary Hammer drill?

For example Makita HR2611F v HR2610.

I am wondering if it is worth the extra few quid for AVT (Anti Vibration Technology)

User feedback on the AVT version; I was drilling and chiseling concrete today and I can report the AVT is the bees knees. I was impressed. There was more vibration in the front handle than the rear handle, and really I could hardly detect it on the rear handle. Very pleased.

Reply to Makita AVT or not on hammer drills in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock