Discuss Makita BHP451 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

High Tower

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
There's been a few posts about new cordless drills recently, well screwfix Are doing the BHP451, the big daddy 18v for £199, log on to screwfix then click on Clarence to find it!, cheap drill at that price!

be careful though. the screwfix offer only has one battery. Given you can get the BHP458 (451 replacement) for £70 more with two batteries and batteries are generally more than £70....

Bhp458 is inferior according to the Makita rep at Elex, not as robust, powerful and only 2 speed and this deal is good for those that were saying they only had a budget of around £200, if no budget considerations I'd have the 451/ rattler combo that I have any day

I brought the 451 and I have to say it is a great drill. As said only one battery, but it only takes 22 mins to charge so not a big deal to be fair.

Seems good price and only thing I've heard bad is finding someone to fix but I'm sure someone out there in uk loves to fix them I.e grant 37 or the likes

I brought the 451 and I have to say it is a great drill. As said only one battery, but it only takes 22 mins to charge so not a big deal to be fair.

one battery's a nightmare, especially when you're trying to crack-on. it's a pain in the a**e waiting for that green light :mad2:. i'd only consider a new drill if it had 2 or even 3 batteries. you don't realise how much you need them until you're stuck with just the one. they're also a godsend if you have other battery operated gear like impact drivers, torches and site radios.

Seems good price and only thing I've heard bad is finding someone to fix but I'm sure someone out there in uk loves to fix them I.e grant 37 or the likes

With a 3 year warranty, not something you need to worry about for a while!! Not sure about N Ireland, but you shouldn't have a problem in Mainland UK!!

These units are very robust, and not prone to the niggling problems like some others well known makes...

Bhp458 is inferior according to the Makita rep at Elex, not as robust, powerful and only 2 speed and this deal is good for those that were saying they only had a budget of around £200, if no budget considerations I'd have the 451/ rattler combo that I have any day

Funny, the Makita rep at Elex told me the 458 was better than the 451. :lol: Same power and the two speed gearbox is more robust than the 3 speed on the 451 (which apparently had a few problems).
I reckon the reps probably just tell people what they think will please them but at the end of the day the 458 is the 451 replacement (if I can believe what the rep told me anyway) and has the same spec (in terms of drilling capacity) but with a 2 speed box instead of 3 (plus a battery level indicator).

I think both are awesome drills so it is probably down to whether you want to save £70 or have two batteries. There is no denying that, if you don't need a 2nd battery, the screwfix deal is very good.......

The actual replacement for the BHP451 is the BHP459z brushless, the 458 is a stop gap model, to transition between the two, I can't deny that the 458 is awsome, and shorter, and I think it looks better, but when I expressed my disappointment at buying the 451, when there was a better model out he told me the 458 was a transition to the 459, and he felt it was a step back and was a move to make the unit more cost effective. But as you rightly said, they will tell you whatever they think you wish to hear.

ive got the 451, only came with 1 battery but i splashed out for a second within a week. it handles everything i can chuck at it so im very happy. price wise, i think it was around 210 delivered so the 199 at screwfix is a bargain.

The actual replacement for the BHP451 is the BHP459z brushless, the 458 is a stop gap model, to transition between the two, I can't deny that the 458 is awsome, and shorter, and I think it looks better, but when I expressed my disappointment at buying the 451, when there was a better model out he told me the 458 was a transition to the 459, and he felt it was a step back and was a move to make the unit more cost effective. But as you rightly said, they will tell you whatever they think you wish to hear.

Not convinced of that. I think he was talking ******** to be honest.....

The spec of the 459 is:

Max. in steel13 mm
Max. in wood38 mm
Max Torque S/H 25 / 45 Nm

That is from the makita uk website and is about half that of the 451/458.
More like the slightly better version of the 452 I think......

It may be that they plan to bring out a brushless beast to replace the 451/458 but it doesn't exist yet as far as I can tell.

Yea the 459 is work in progress they haven't developed it enough yet, hence they need the 458 until they do. That's the point of the 458, i get the impression the 451 was too expensive to produce and needed updating, but as far as Makita is concerned, the long term future is brushless.

As I say I wanted the 458 and like you rightly say they will tell you anything.

Funny, the Makita rep at Elex told me the 458 was better than the 451. :lol: Same power and the two speed gearbox is more robust than the 3 speed on the 451 (which apparently had a few problems).
I reckon the reps probably just tell people what they think will please them but at the end of the day the 458 is the 451 replacement (if I can believe what the rep told me anyway) and has the same spec (in terms of drilling capacity) but with a 2 speed box instead of 3 (plus a battery level indicator).

I think both are awesome drills so it is probably down to whether you want to save £70 or have two batteries. There is no denying that, if you don't need a 2nd battery, the screwfix deal is very good.......
I’ve had both. The 451 is a beast. Lots more robust. Faster. Takes more beating

Reply to Makita BHP451 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net