Discuss Makita insulated tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

For £40 you can't go wrong, you may find some bits are excellent, others a waste of space, but for the price it seems like a fair starting point.
one thing u will learn being a spark, you will be constantly buying tools.
personally I like to buy the one item that I need, and buy a decent one. Buying sets you buy stuff you will never need.
but on the other hand if I were in your position, I would go for it

You will only use 10% of that kit. As a 'trainee', you will not be expected to have ALL the gear, as you still have 'no idea'! My opinion is to get a decent terminal driver, and a good PZ2 driver, and a decent pair of snips. You will keep these for a good while, while the rest of that kit are 'consumables, which the contractor should provide. (Consumables are drill bits, hole saws, blades, cutters etc that get used up.)

Others may disagree, thats why this is a forum. We all contribute our opinions.

I will mainly be doing Domestic at the moment, I'm a Electrical Trainee ;) but going to be working with a fully qualified spark whilst going for my full diploma on the side. I've seen on other posts Knipex is the recommended sidecutter, which size should i get?

Thanks again

for side cutters, knipex, CK, Bahco. call in you local wholesaler and get hold of 1 or 2 different makes. see which feels bast.

Knipex High Leverage Diagonal Cutters Comfort Grip 74 02 160
WIHA 16 Piece VDE SlimVario Pz/Ph/Slot Screwdriver Set | eBay

Okay, maybe a little pricey, but the BEST, and you'll never regret it. Just watch the prying eyes! That Wiha set is just the nuts! or these,

Wera Kraftform Kompakt 18 Piece VDE Screwdriver Set NEW | eBay

I went for the Wiha set as they were slim and went into the RCBOs I was doing at the time.

The stanley stuff is good too, but don't get to sidetracked with these 'electricians sets' in my opinion. As others have said, buy what you need, and buy good, but a few good tools will see you through a lot as a trainee.

In my opinion, you will need a battery drill and bit holder at some point, way before you'll need needle nose pliers in that other kit.

Crappy tapes measures are also another false economy. But a decent metal stanley one, 5 or 8 metres with a good standout and you'll be sorted.

Hope this helps, but also read this in the light of others comments.

Cheers.

for domestic work, these are going to be your most used tools.

Makita insulated tools {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Makita insulated tools {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I tend not to bother with the kits full of bits etc due to the fact half go missing or break easily and the rest of them gather dust.

I've become partial to Bahco tools mainly due to the feel of the grips etc and they are pretty hard wearing. Got a good set of CK screwdrivers and they are also good. Stanley Fatmax totes and a tool belt, can't go wrong. If you want to look really good get a technicians vest, they're the dogs danglies...

Also a decent claw hammer for banging in the numerous clips. Decent head-torch and a decent voltage tester.

CK technicians tool bag is good for carrying my test meter, all its gubbins and basic tools for inspection work.

One of the forum sponsors, Test Meter also give a forum discount which is very nice.

Start of with some basic tools and buy as you need them, also it gives you a chance to try before you buy.

Admittedly I'm a bit of a tool ----- and have really had to restrain myself in the last few months... :lol:

Cheers Voltz

I ended up getting the two you mentioned above, I'm determined to work in the Electrical field, so i thought i could treat myself this once!
About the position, I'm just finishing up with Tradeskills4u and decided that I wanted to get the full diploma, so I went through the yellow pages and emailed every local sparky I could find, until I got a reply! I wont be working for much money, but as long as I get experience and I can get through the diploma then I'm fine with it!

for side cutters, knipex, CK, Bahco. call in you local wholesaler and get hold of 1 or 2 different makes. see which feels bast.
i`v got CK sidecutters...and some NWS ones n all....also got some NWS pliers....all good....various bahco drivers...and others n all......Makita are best for drills...stick to the likes of CK, Bahco, NWS, Knipex, Lindstrom..etc for snips, cutters n snipe nosed/engineers/longnosed/bentnosed pliers.....

i notice that it doesn't say that the drivers are VDE. if they are not ( and they don't look it) then give it a miss

Id recommend NWS snips...had mine for 5 or 6 years and they where brilliant, cut all sorts with them only demoted them to the garage toolbox because I got some new NWS ones at a bargin price...ill revert back to them when an apprentice cuts through a live cable with them or they go missing...lol...

Go the pliers set in them too...

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI.

Cheers Voltz

I ended up getting the two you mentioned above, I'm determined to work in the Electrical field, so i thought i could treat myself this once!
About the position, I'm just finishing up with Tradeskills4u and decided that I wanted to get the full diploma, so I went through the yellow pages and emailed every local sparky I could find, until I got a reply! I wont be working for much money, but as long as I get experience and I can get through the diploma then I'm fine with it!

i am deeply honoured and pleased to help. When you get these delivered, you will NOT be disappointed! I am extremely pleased to hear of your success to the dedication you have shown to gaining experience and employment. I wish you all the luck in the world. Don't try to get ahead of yourself, it takes years to learn even just the basics. What field are you in, domestic, commercial, bit of everything?

I remember the first time I was stood in front of a 3 gang switch and a guy came in and said, ' f me, what a mess!, this is how you do it..first start by separating all the earths....'

He wasn't taking the p, or trying to belittle me, just showing the best way. I've listened to everything he had to say, and then I went on to terminating panel boards and swapping best practice with him for years. I've moved on, but still in regular contact with him. We are both tool junkeys which helps.

Point I'm trying to make here is that this is the start of a long but potentially rewarding journey for you, and taking pleasure from your tools and with your dedication to quality, the satisfaction of a job well done is something that is so rewarding that it helps you sleep well at night picturing that install you have completed with your own hands with your own tools.

I truly hope you get to complete your training, and please keep on here and become a regular poster.

Regards.

Reply to Makita insulated tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock