Discuss Makita or Dewalt?????? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

The Dewalt DC988L, 18V L-ion, combi drill with 3 year warranty is current available for £128 ex VAT ... no contest?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my li -ion 18v makita couple of years back and was at the crossroads proir to buying whether to get that or bosch's equivelent. Went to machine mart and had hold of both and the bosch weighs a tonne so opted for the makita. I paid £350 for it inc vat and got a lovely impact driver and 2 batt's inc and have not had a problem yet!

I swear by it, it's amazing, even when i don't use it for a month or even longer it still retains about 80% of its last charge so is ok to use straight from the box and its got 15min quick charge too. I've used it for drilling 25mm holes in joists, 7mm holes in masonary, 48mm in metal without a murmor it hasn't missed a beat and it's easy to carry around and keep it on your work belt as it comes with a useful belt hook.

I've used de-walt in the past, they come off the same production line as black and decker and i've never entertained buying one after witnessing poor performance from workmates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the makita and it's a great drill. Everyone I work with also owns the same.
My latest toy is the White makita dab site radio which runs off the same 18v li-ion batteries.

It seems now though that the brains at Bosch and Dewalt have matched and maybe bettered the size and weight issues once found with these brandes.

The new bosch range state they are the lightest and smallest drill on the market.

Totally agree with the older bosch models though, they were massive

Selco are selling the Milwaukee 18v with 2x 18v Li-Ion for £200 inc at the moment. Mine drilled though both sides of a cavity (block/brick) with a 14mm drill bit in a couple of minutes. It also drills large holes in wood quicker than my 700w Dewalt Percusion mains drill.

The AEG that Screwfix sell for £150 with 2x 18v Li-Ion is meant to be good too.

Last edited:
Definitely not dewalt or makita, even bosch are a little suspect with there quality. Milwaukee are streets ahead in power performance and quality. If you've got the extra money go for a protool my Hilti is the back up for this now:44:

I have had a dewalt combi drill for about 6 years, its been through some tough times and still going strong........when it packs up ill go makita though as I don't think dewalt have maintained the same level of product quality. I already have a makita impact driver that is a really good bit of kit.

Couple of months back I bought an (orange) AEG 18V from Toolstation with 2 x 3Ah batteries for £199.00 - sounded like a bag of bolts when I got it home. It had 64Nm of torque apparently. I only got it as my bro in law had the previous blue AEG model and this, the orange one was supposed to be the replacement range. I heard rumours AEG now made in China. Anyway, I took it back, got a refund and bought a Makita 18V with 80Nm of torque the BHP451 from Screwfix. Very impressed except for the LED worklight built in doesn't shine exactly on the spot where your're drilling! Bags of grunt but have read elsewhere on this forum of gearbox problems with this model.

Reply to Makita or Dewalt?????? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net