Discuss Manual switching to over ride PIR Flood in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pip

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Have a client who has a light unit with a built in PIR at the entrance to his property, Electric gates, Cameras etc. PIR has packed up so light now useless.
The unit has a switched live to the lamps so bypassing the PIR, panic mode really as there are other floods on the same circuit around the property.

So I need to keep this option so I am looking for a flood light with a built in PIR which I can manually over ride by the switched live, and not by the pulse on/off routine.
I have found onehttps://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTFL10PIRWW.html (which I will say I found through this very forum off another post) Problem is I'm looking for something a little brighter.

Anyone got any leads?

Thanks Pip

An extra wire (switched live)from control point to fitting and wire in with the pir outgoer and you will have dual switching...manual switch overriding....no matter what size.

All the LED PIR floodlights that I have come across have been prewired with 3 core flex whereas before you wired a 4 core flex or 3 core & earth cable to. The only one that I have come across is Timeguard. Faced with this same problem when we had to replace T/H PIR floodlights around a house that had an override switch was to have a floodlight and a stand alone PIR into an adaptable box. Same sort of set up.

fitted an Ansell 30watt at home last year. you need to replace the supplied flex with 4 core (or 5 core) flex, connect a swiched L core to the output side of the PIR, fit a wiska box and supply with 3core/E.

Thanks Guys,
The original is already wired 3 core and earth, permanent live to PIR, and a switched live direct to lamps, (over ride) neutral and earth.
I looked at the Timeguard stuff but they all seem to be wall mounted, I don't have that option as the light is fitted to the top of a pole on some Galvanised strut. A flood would be the best option.

Yes may have to go down the separate PIR and lamp route with wiska box etc, but hoped to find a straight swap, but perhaps manufacturers don't make them any more?

The Timeguard LED PRO floods
LEDPRO50B - 50W LED Professional Rewireable Floodlight - Black | Timeguard - https://www.timeguard.com/products/light/ledpro-lighting/50w-led-professional-rewireable-floodlight---black

Can be fitted with PIR units that have an additional control fob which can overide the PIR (see link below)

SLB2300RF - 2300W PIR Light Controller - Black c/w RF Remote Control Key Fob | Timeguard - https://www.timeguard.com/products/light/pir-lighting-controllers/2300w-pir-light-controller-cw-rf-control-black

The control fobs have a battery in, and can be wired up to a standard lightswitch. Beware of putting the fob in an existing mains fed switch (to make a 2 gang) as the inductance of the mains screws the signal. The fob must be in its own box ! They dont mention that in the instructions. Using these saves having to run a separate line to the PIR

The Timeguard LED PRO floods
LEDPRO50B - 50W LED Professional Rewireable Floodlight - Black | Timeguard - https://www.timeguard.com/products/light/ledpro-lighting/50w-led-professional-rewireable-floodlight---black

Can be fitted with PIR units that have an additional control fob which can overide the PIR (see link below)

SLB2300RF - 2300W PIR Light Controller - Black c/w RF Remote Control Key Fob | Timeguard - https://www.timeguard.com/products/light/pir-lighting-controllers/2300w-pir-light-controller-cw-rf-control-black

The control fobs have a battery in, and can be wired up to a standard lightswitch. Beware of putting the fob in an existing mains fed switch (to make a 2 gang) as the inductance of the mains screws the signal. The fob must be in its own box ! They dont mention that in the instructions. Using these saves having to run a separate line to the PIR

Nice idea, might just look into that one, Thanks

Nice idea, might just look into that one, Thanks

They also do a PIR with fob that fits directly onto the flood, they not a bad range and can configure how you need. Just read that you already have a three core and E, so in that case might not need the rf fob option

An extra wire (switched live)from control point to fitting and wire in with the pir outgoer and you will have dual switching...manual switch overriding....no matter what size.
Agree, some floodlights make it awkward to get to the connection but the PIR is just a switch, if you put another switch in parallel, the light comes on when either switch is closed.

Thanks for all your help and comments. I'm gonna have to do the separate flood and PIR thing, which I prefer as if one goes wrong you can swap it out without losing the whole unit.
Got my Junction box so switching is all fine.
Again many thanks

Thanks for all your help and comments. I'm gonna have to do the separate flood and PIR thing, which I prefer as if one goes wrong you can swap it out without losing the whole unit.
Got my Junction box so switching is all fine.
Again many thanks
That's the way we had to do it, in the end, each light had a separate PIR and was activated independently. Then the override switch turned them all on.

Reply to Manual switching to over ride PIR Flood in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net