Discuss many house fires a week caused by dodgy white goods! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Lack of maintenance of the user I think comes into the tumble drier equation. Lint is massive and needs to be removed and cleaned/vacuumed but everyone is too busy.
It doesn’t really count as an electrical fire I don’t think if lint is the problem.
Just my opinion

According to story I just had pop up on my sky news app 60 house fires a week are attributed to white goods catching fire. the link says 8 a week so havent a clue which is correct????
Makes you wonder if they ever managed to recall and fix all them iffy tumble dryers?
60 house fires a week caused by faulty white goods - https://news.sky.com/story/eight-house-fires-a-week-caused-by-faulty-white-goods-11250607
Agree Gavin, but there is a but, how many people actually register the white goods they buy? if there is no registration trail then how are the munfacturers to know who to contact, if a fault on any paricular appliance, I know it's a chore to register appliances, but the question is could registration lead to more people being notified about faulty goods.

Do as many white goods go wrong now compared to 20 years ago (see thread on long lasting items)
Is it down to modern manufacturing and Research+Development of the companies making the items.

Lack of maintenance of the user I think comes into the tumble drier equation. Lint is massive and needs to be removed and cleaned/vacuumed but everyone is too busy.

Mine was down to a bad design. The lint was getting inside the machine.. They replaces a cover... so my missus says.

Well, I get your point. I'll bet there's a damn sight more fires caused by white goods than by non metal con units.:rolleyes:
Isnt the issue that metal consumer units wont in themselves prevent a fire but would contain it and limit its spread where as plastic will go up in flames quickly and spread the fire? it all comes down to terminations.

allwashing machines and tumble dryers should be enclosed in a metal cabinet.... 'er indoors in with them. :D

AFAIK lots of dryers without overheat cutout still 'doing the rounds'. Fridges with exposed insulation / plastic backs are also implicated. Apparently fire in a metal backed one is more contained and so less dangerous. I've got one of each type of fridge, hopefully I won't be testing this ...

Isnt the issue that metal consumer units wont in themselves prevent a fire but would contain it and limit its spread where as plastic will go up in flames quickly and spread the fire? it all comes down to terminations.
Yeah. But what's that got to do with it?......the fires were blazing anyway long before the amendment, be it from white goods or CU's.
Bring back pvc white goods, I say!:rolleyes:

Once had to collect info from consumers regarding damaged appliances after a neutral fault in a rural area. Made the list of damaged cookers, washers, fridges etc. Came to a property whose appluances were donkey's years ols, mainly cast iron. All still working fine, like they say, the quickest operating fyse is a transistor.

Reply to many house fires a week caused by dodgy white goods! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock