Discuss Marine Electrician Shore-side Qualified in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

First post on the forum so hello to everyone :)

I'm a marine electrical engineer by trade, and have been working full time in the industry since 2012 when I finished my HND. I have often wondered about getting shore-side trained/recognised and would like to know what the best route in doing so would be in Scotland? Never a bad idea to have a plan B contingency regarding work, it would be great to get to my own bed every night!

I have approached a few electricians locally looking for part time work (voluntary) on my time off, in order to pick up some domestic knowledge. But this was unsuccessful, for reasons I cannot understand...

The idea was to kick about with a local spark for 6-12 months (or how ever long it took) in order to become competent in how things are conducted ashore. Regarding the theoretical side of things, I was hoping my qualifications would be somewhat recognised and the regs, etc I could self study at-will. Regarding the practical side of things, a skills test when I felt ready? Not quite sure how it works.

Has anyone got any advice on the matter?

Thanks in advance!

With you being in scotland I am not sure what difference it will make but I hope this helps ...... In regards to your HND they should recognise it, I work on the industrial side and was looking to get into the domestic side in a similar way to which you are, on phoning around 3 of the schemes they requested copies of my level 3 NVQ, (electrical engineering maintenance) when this wasn't sufficient I sent them a copy of elec/elec ONC & HNC and they all said that the HNC is recognised on the domestic side. With the HND being a higher qual I imagine this will still apply.

I know schemes do not apply in Scotland, but figure that if they are willing to accept it as proof of competence ... so should the sparks you will be working with.

100% get your 18th behind you, domestic focuses on the regs a hell of a lot more than industry and having them should put you in a better position for voluntary work.

6-12months may be a bit optomistic though, same principles different ball game.

Good luck and I hope at least some of that can help you ;)

Thanks @The_apprentice2.0.

I will look into the 18th exam in that case.

Wrt the 6-12 months, that was just an arbitrary time frame. I didn't mean for it to sound like domestic stuff will be a cakewalk, I understand it will bring it's own challenges and plenty of them!

I have sent an email to SECTT to see what they come back with regarding routes to allow me to train/work shoreside.

Reply to Marine Electrician Shore-side Qualified in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock