Discuss Marquee... temporary installation in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Chaps...

Just a quick one, have got a couple of marquee temporary installs coming up this summer... new one for me, so just doing my research to make sure i get it all right.

Am I correct in thinking section 711 of the BRB is the one I should be looking at ?

Any advice welcome if anyone has done one of these before...

Think one of them will be run off the existing house supply, and the other off a 30 kva genny.

Have a good weekend,

Many Thanks,

Sy

You have not told us what is going to be requeired in the marquee, so how are we to answer your question?

Umm yes that would help sorry...doh! Beer worn off a bit now.

They are going to be used for wedding receptions.... lighting, power for band, power for catering - thats all I know so far, did try to get some figures to work out my max demand but nothing as of yet.

Sy

I take it they are supplying the eqpt?(have a good look at it, see what switching devices are installed in the CU, ie time delayed main switch etc............this will give u some pointers)
I would say just treat it as a TT supply.
i would look at page 219 BRB for guidance.(temp structures)

It's a new marquee company (my brothers) just starting up so I will be helping with getting there intial set up of equipment. CU with a selection of RCBOs, earth rod, 16mm earth and some armourflex will be on the list to start with.

Best way is to TT it then, makes sense.

Many thanks for your help,

Sy

Blakley temp DB might help they are made for site installations and are IP rated mounted on freestanding legs try Fleebay might find one there
as for resr Id make up a couple of panels with say 6dbl sockets for the posistion the band/main entertainment will be as most will have more stuff than you think
Good luck

used to own a marquee business a few years ago, good money earner but hard graft and long hours.
small marquee parties we used arctic flex fed by a 13A plug in rcd into a socket on the house. This is minimum hassle as the load was always minimal. Anything bigger was always to a DB board with earth rod etc. PM me and i will give u some pointers later this evening as im out all day.

ok bud

check out this web site for lights.

Essential Supplies - Marquee Lighting

i used the white uplighters with par 38 bulbs. A bit pricey to buy but did the job and was easy to install and gives great effects with filters etc.

Also make up cables using arctic flex with 16A male and female 16A blue sockets either end.
AS the marquees are usually measured in Feet then make
10ft
20ft
30ft
40ft

and mark these with perm marker for easy identification.
These can then all be pat testeed every year.
You can buy Y splitters in the 16A sockets too to feed 2 ways from one RCD
Buy the rcd single socket units wired into 1M of arctic flex into a female 16A socket.
These will be ur bread and butter as u will use them at smaller jobs and u can tap into different ccts from the house supply without any hassle.
I also wired double dimmers onto some small pieces of ply with a short tail into male 16A plugs(two feeds per switch). then u can feed each dimmer with the uplighters(400W) dimmers so max 10 lights per dimmer, 8 on the safe side.
Hope this helps and i will try and dig some more stuff out for u if req?

Spot on mate.... thats definately given me a good heads up.

That website is handy will check it out properly later on, looks like they come with commandos on already, no hassles then.

So on smaller jobs, get a 16a commando set up in the house and into made up RCD unit and out in artic flex, seems pretty straight forward.

With bigger events where more juice may be needed and require a temp CU set up, did you supply it in SWA or armourflex? So would I be right in thinking a time delayed RCD at source (cut into existing tails with henleys install a mini unit there) and the temp CU loaded with RCBOs be the best option...

Many Thanks,

Sy:)

For power outlets the thing I have used before are fairly good, if you google PRB12/02 it will be the top hit with a company called lewden, cant link direct to page, sorry.

That looks like a decent bit of kit.... bet there pricey.... can get Lewden at my local wholesalers, so will have a word tomorrow,

Thanks Sy

Spot on mate.... thats definately given me a good heads up.

That website is handy will check it out properly later on, looks like they come with commandos on already, no hassles then.

So on smaller jobs, get a 16a commando set up in the house and into made up RCD unit and out in artic flex, seems pretty straight forward.

With bigger events where more juice may be needed and require a temp CU set up, did you supply it in SWA or armourflex? So would I be right in thinking a time delayed RCD at source (cut into existing tails with henleys install a mini unit there) and the temp CU loaded with RCBOs be the best option...

Many Thanks,

Sy:)
just get the plug in rcd which goes straight into a plug socket with a 1 metre tail into blue 16A female commando socket and feed power from there. if more power needed than 3 KW (13A) then use another feed from another socket or from another ringmain in house to split the load, but this will rarely be the case at small jobs.

Bigger jobs, just hire a silent diesel generator from say woodlands generators who will supply a lead from the supply to the board.
I made up a board which also had a larger commando socket feeding tails to main switch. You can mount this in either a lockable cabinet or mount it on a piece of ply. This was always situated in the caterers tent as they always needed the most power and it was always out the way from drunk people who like to switch things on and off if u know what i mean.
all feeds from MCB's were then into each individual female commando 16A socket for ease of use
Check out that web site i sent and look at how they have made up their boards to get an idea.

hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
this depends if it a public paying event or private function like weddings!
private events can be run via a generator with earth electrode. (TT system)

im not saying u are wrong, but if u are using an earth electrode as supplied with a mobile generator, u may be hard pushed to get lower than 0.8 ohms as per TNS in BS7671. I have not read requirements as per BS7909?? im not saying im right either so i will stand corrected???
May give Woodlands generators a call tomorrow for some of their input.

would the circuits jusst need to be rcd protcted and frame if metal eartthed...????
I used to put up said frames. 2ft 6 of iron rod(think yourself lucky tehy dont use these in the spark trade) 15 mins on a sledgehammer was the norm :( Even the wooden 1s use these

Reply to Marquee... temporary installation in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net