Discuss master socket cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phillcbr400

Not had much experience with telecoms so hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.
I need to wire in a master socket in my property.
I've never come across this cable before, then again I haven't had to deal with many.

Hopefully you can see the image, it consists of
3 yellow, black, green, orange, white.
The yellow don't seem to identifiable between the 3.
Any help would be appreciated.

if that's the incoming BT cable, then the colours used are black, green,orange, white. you should have 48V dc on a pair.

Yes its the main incoming cable. I'm not even sure if it is connected at there end to be honest. Will test to find out. The house has been stood unoccupied for a good while.

chances are it's been cut off at exchange. you will need to get BT to reconnect and fit master socket. then you can fit your own extension sockets. but check for that 48V dc first.

Jut had a quick test and the most I'm getting between pairs is 100mV so looks like it's been disconnected.
How to do know what pairs or colours do what? It there a standard in place that I can have a read up on. Just for my education.

the 4 colours i mentioned are the generally use 2 pairs, so you can have 2 lines on 1 cable. not sure about the yellows. never seen them before. for your extensions, all you use is the blue/white and white/blue, connected to terminals 2 and 5 on the sockets.

that makes sense now! there being two lines. Always thought there was one within the four cables. When the bt lad comes ill be asking questions, that should make him work faster :)

Thanks for your help it's appreciated.

That is dropwire cable, It carries 2 copper pairs Black/Green and Orange/White for 2 telephone lines. The yellow steel wires are suspension wires for strength.

If you are connecting into a box. the 1st choice pair would be Orange/White so that should connect to A and B on the back of the master socket. The yellows you can cut off.

The Green/Black would only be used if there was a second line or if the Orange/White was faulty

That is dropwire cable, It carries 2 copper pairs Black/Green and Orange/White for 2 telephone lines. The yellow steel wires are suspension wires for strength.

If you are connecting into a box. the 1st choice pair would be Orange/White so that should connect to A and B on the back of the master socket. The yellows you can cut off.

The Green/Black would only be used if there was a second line or if the Orange/White was faulty

Dropwire no 10 Horrible stuff to strip, those steel wires should be left at about 3mm and bent over and sleeved.

Reply to master socket cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net