Discuss Masters degree in electrical engineering? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bs7671

Hi my name is Philip and I am 27 years old and this june I would have completed my level 3 2330 at the Isle of Wight college.I am unsure what to do with my qualification once I am finished,I know I can use it to get into uni and do a degree but I am unsure of how much work it involves and what job prospects/salary it would open up.Any guidance would be great thanks

Not sure if you level 3 would get you straight onto a degree course, I would have thought you would have had to go down the HNC/HND or A level in the sciences Ie Maths physics etc.

I would say that some folk are up to the theory side of things and others are not, while a lucky few can do both. I would definatel encourage you to carry on your learning as far as it can take you. By getting a degree you would open doors to managemnet, design and engineers posts.

i would say if you go to uni still go on site and get some real hands on experience, and then you can see what can realy be done, and if any of your uni stuff is relevant.
as i was at college with a lad that went of to uni and he earns less than me, and has a big fat bill to pay back.
Due to a lack of on site experience.

as the man said above but on site skills will let you know if what you are putting to paper can be done or not, as many times ive come accross people saying get this done and when you look at the designs it cant be done, well not the way they have laid it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
2330 level 3 is the start of the road to the direction you want to go. Apprentices get to this point after a couple of years and then need to go on to achieve their AM2 and NVQ to qualify as a spark. Have you got these?

As said ealier your route will need to go along the HNC/HND path before you get to Masters

Yeah I will be working for a self employed sparky full time come september and was planning to do a year with him before committing to any course anyway.At the moment I work one day a week for him for free,just for experience but cant afford to do more until my wife qualifies and can support us both later this year.I like the sound of management and design and so far have done well in my own course.I enjoy the subject and would like to take it as far as possible and earn lots of dosh,dont mind travelling or being away from home.What other routes are open that you can suggest?

You can go on to get your 2391-10 and 20 this will be a good indication of how you will enjoy the theory side of things. But once you have completed your 2330 and then your NVQ you are a jobbing Sparks. The above 2 courses will take you onto Approved electrician and then Technician all of which are JIB grades, but these are coupled with experience as well.

To go onto a degree it will most likely be a HNC/HND route

You dont neccesary need to do a HNC/HND to go on to a degree cause I was also thinking of doing a BEng (Hons) degree. the degree entry requirments are defined by UCAS points its around 300 points to do a BEng degree but if you havent got enough UCAS points from other Quals like A levels etc or your Maths/Phsyics isn't A level Standard then you can do a foundation course to bring your maths/Physics etc upto the required Standard .which would mean that it would take 4 years instead of 3 to gain the Degree. (Which was the route I was thinking of taking) you can check on a university's website of whats Quals give out UCAS points A grade A levels or AS levels give out quite a few points.

From personal experience 2330 to degree level is huge jump and you risk dropping out early because of the work load. My advice would be test the waters first by doing HNC/HND first. The biggest mistake most engineering students make is to under estimate the level of mathematics required, your maths ability needs to one level ahead of your electrical theory all the way through your degree course, else you will struggle big time.

From personal experience 2330 to degree level is huge jump and you risk dropping out early because of the work load. My advice would be test the waters first by doing HNC/HND first. The biggest mistake most engineering students make is to under estimate the level of mathematics required, your maths ability needs to one level ahead of your electrical theory all the way through your degree course, else you will struggle big time.

As Mark as pointed out the maths alone is the killer I've attached the HNC bridging course that is run by the C & G to just get you onto that course and I think that this is quite a step up from what the 2330 maths is.
View attachment 3-33-Mathematics_v1_.pdf

To be honest the HNC is just the start of this road to a degree, so it can be quite daunting.

Reply to Masters degree in electrical engineering? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net