Discuss Max ZS allowed on NICEIC cert seems wrong? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B@llocks, it is because London Fire Brigade highlighted a larger number of poor workmanship/ incorrect terminations in domestic installs by inexperienced people, but as the scam providers wanted to maintain the status quo (anyone whose cheque clears) they bribed or convinced the IET to treat the symptoms rather than the root cause, and we all ended up with a halfarsed reg as a consequence.
my thoughts entirely. no part p or any other reg. is going to stop the cowboys. look what happened in the states in 1920 when they banned booze. make anything illegal and the black market takes over.

That the scams have made electrical installations since Part P and its inception safer

Well if I could be bothered I could gather the stats from work for you or you could take my word for it. Tell me, before regulation if you left a loose connection in a property miles from where you lived and it burnt to the ground. Would you have ever known about it? The answer is no. I however would and I can tell you from first hand experience that the number of fires caused by poor electrical installations has gone down and before you start to talk to me about how the government fix the stats they can only do that after we are submitted them and I'm afraid to all you part P haters out there the figures speak for themselves.

@ trev. we must both have the same hymm sheet. when was it translated into geordie? :49:

Well if I could be bothered I could gather the stats from work for you or you could take my word for it. Tell me, before regulation if you left a loose connection in a property miles from where you lived and it burnt to the ground. Would you have ever known about it? The answer is no. I however would and I can tell you from first hand experience that the number of fires caused by poor electrical installations has gone down and before you start to talk to me about how the government fix the stats they can only do that after we are submitted them and I'm afraid to all you part P haters out there the figures speak for themselves.

Right I changed my mind.

If a installation I worked on caused a fire then yes I would know about it as I would have been pulled up for arson due to the fact I always a relevant certificate as in BS7671 sonthey would be able to find out who installed it.

Its the ones who dont issue certs that are the problem, now tell me how does Part P stop this happening?

@ trev. we must both have the same hymm sheet. when was it translated into geordie? :49:
You see that's where you're making your mistake mate. The Venerable Bede wasn't translating all that guff from Latin into English, he was dumbing it down so you lot could understand the general gist of it.
Obviously you're all still missing the finer points of it but we let you all off with it because you're just Geordies with your brains kicked out.
:)

Your not called Nicholas by any chance are you ? ;)

Oh and 74% of statitics are made up so they prove nothing.

Customer I have picked had an extension wired by a non registered electrician so it had not been registered for part p
The LBA would not sign it off without part p so they sent there own testing engineer (sub contractor) and charged £300 to test 2 circuits
now if that's the general charge then surely it's best to register to provide a better service to the customer
2 or 3 jobs and the cost to register is cheaper than LBA charges

If the extension was subject to full planning permission and building regs then informing building control that an unregistered but qualified electrician was doing the work would have negated that charge and any electrical inspections would have to have been carried out for the standard building regs inspection charge which was paid anyway for the buildings regs inspection for all of the other building regs.

As it is they may be able to claim back against building control for overcharging them for that inspection.

Mate, I'm 52 years old. I've been doing this since I was 16, I'm properly qualified and have experience in a wide variety of the many aspects of this trade. I have never had one of my CU installations catch fire.
Now are you seriously telling me that because I am not CPS registered I am somehow incompetent?
CUs catch fire for one reason and one reason only. Poor termination of cables.
Now who is more likely to terminate a cable poorly, someone who was stacking shelves in Tesco a few weeks back and has passed some silly open book exam? Or me, an apprenticeship trained, properly qualified electrician with over 30 years of experience under his belt?

First off mate no I am not saying you are incompetent at all. Second you wouldn't message tilt have found out if any of your installs had ever caught fire (I'm sure they haven't though) my point is your a fully qualified spark and install very safe work, the semi trained Tescos guy will install safe work to it's the third category that you missed out which is DIY Dave who will cause the fires and since part p has been introduced it has reduced the number of DIY Daves thus less fires. The experience I was referring to is not you lack of electrical experience it's was the fire experience. I'm a fire officer and have seen the effect part p has had first hand.

So how does the above concern me ? I issue Certificates and don't belong to a scheme and Building Control sign off my work and my Certificate is given a code number on their system. Therefore I am on record with them as doing the work.

Be intresting to see these "stats" and then break them down into caused by so called Part P electricians and how many caused by "non part p" electricians

You see that's where you're making your mistake mate. The Venerable Bede wasn't translating all that guff from Latin into English, he was dumbing it down so you lot could understand the general gist of it.
Obviously you're all still missing the finer points of it but we let you all off with it because you're just Geordies with your brains kicked out.
:)
did geordies ever have brains to be kicked out? :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Sorry but you obviously are making this up and not speaking from experience. I however am and a far larger proportion of these fires originated from uncertified work carried out by non registered people.
I am genuinely interested to see the figures to back up the reasons for the upcoming changes to consumer unit construction. Do you know if it's available online?

Having been involved in committee environments for most of my career, I'm slightly skeptical about the gravity of the problem and somewhat suspicious that this was one persons pet subject that has been accepted without full due diligence.

I hope that I am wrong and I am interested to see the figures to back up the new regulation.

Oh and 74% of statitics are made up so they prove nothing.

Thats simply not true as its part of my job to accurately report these figures and I've seen first hand the positive effect part p has had. I know you love to hate it because it's an expense and a inconvenience to be tested etc... but you can't change the facts that it has made things safer.

If the extension was subject to full planning permission and building regs then informing building control that an unregistered but qualified electrician was doing the work would have negated that charge and any electrical inspections would have to have been carried out for the standard building regs inspection charge which was paid anyway for the buildings regs inspection for all of the other building regs.

As it is they may be able to claim back against building control for overcharging them for that inspection.

Not now mate, the Electrics have been removed from the LABC plans etc. they are to be paid for in addition if required, ie. as a separate item, it is cheaper to employ a CPS member to sign the electrics off, unless you can swing a deal yourself with your LABC.

I am genuinely interested to see the figures to back up the reasons for the upcoming changes to consumer unit construction. Do you know if it's available online?

Having been involved in committee environments for most of my career, I'm slightly skeptical about the gravity of the problem and somewhat suspicious that this was one persons pet subject that has been accepted without full due diligence.

I hope that I am wrong and I am interested to see the figures to back up the new regulation.

The home office is the place to get that info but speaking from experience I've seen many of these fires first hand. I am a firefighter and most of these fires were from plastic units installed before part p or by non registered people.

How many of these fires are in domestic premises and how many are in non domestic premises?

How can you distinguish between a fire caused by a bad connection and one caused by faulty parts?

Reply to Max ZS allowed on NICEIC cert seems wrong? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock