Discuss Max Zs on certification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Anyways, just as an aside, been called across to my vacant house up for sale. Neighbour has just had a small fire, FB in attendance. Water everywhere. Laptop in upstairs bedroom appears to be the culprit.

Too high Zs values, or dodgy lithium batteries?

I hope it's not done any damage to your place Middy.

But it is operating in time.....the measured Zs of my example of 1.2 on a 32A ring circuit....is below 1.37 Max Zs required to make it operate on time.

As others have said - it may not disconnect in time.
The reg group you want is 411.3.2 - automatic disconnection in case of a fault.
If you need more references from the BBB then under each of the 'Max Zs tables' there is "if the conductors are at different temperature when tested, the reading should be adjusted accordingly. See appendix 3."

If you read appendix 3 - it's all there - including the 'rule of thumb' for temperature correction.

The column for 'max Zs' should surely contain the limiting value being worked to, as a reference for the column containing the actual reading obtained. If the conductors are at full load working temperature, the table values would apply. If at ambient, then you are referred to appendix 14, for methods of correction of the maz Zs value.
The 80% factor is applied NOT to the table value, but to the calculated value of V0 / Ia which is the fault current which causes a trip within the requisite time. Funnily enough, for a 32A Type B breaker, the above calc at 230V, 160A is 1.15 ohm, and 0.8 x the table value of 1.44 is also 1.15 ohm ( 1.152).
Does that work for all of the tables and values?
Anyway, I still think the 'max' column should contain the Actual limiting value being worked to.

Quite right Pete - forgetting about Am't 3! - U0 x 0.95. So the rule of thumb ought to be 76% then? I'm on 240, nearly 250 - so that drops my dis time from 0.4 to 0.2 secs ( no difference for a Type B tho ).
They probably class my Uo as 230! It messed my PV inverter about tho, till I upped a few settings.

Please can people clarify what value they insert in the Max Zs field on certification.

I've always input 100%. Currently in disagreement with another person as they are specifying 80%.

Done my 2391 in 2008 and I was taught and told it's always 100% and it's down to the QS to interpret the results and ensure they fall with 80% allowing for correction factors.

Third argument is that in GN3 and OSG they specifically state 80% - however I always understood these to be quick reference pocket guides while on site.

In the mentioned publications and BBB the model forms show 100% in the compelte fields for examples. Secondly the small print at the bottom makes reference to the Publication and values in Chapter 41 aka BBB and 100% values.

Your thoughts please people
I have found so many inconsistencies and mistakes in the on site guide that it can't be relied on. Take a look at the test and inspection sheets in the appendix section. Some of the values inserted are incorrect and the advice notes don't match the forms. I would always suggest that you use your experience and knowledge in any conundrum. In this case I would enter the 80% value as this is the worst case scenario in any instance

Reply to Max Zs on certification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock