Discuss May I ask Thermal cameras has any one used Flirs? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

monkee

I am thinking of buying a thermal camera and have been looking at Flirs range of cameras but the price scale is huge

I like the I7 and the ebx 50 cameras has anybody tried one...

cheers guys

I haven't used a proper camera but you can get infra red non contact thermometer for under £50. I have found this useful for spotting loose connections / worn out MCBs etc that aren't so bad that you can feel the heat. You need to use it close up though. It will give a good indication of overheating by comparison with surroundings. Useful as a supplement when looking at jobs.

Unless your operations are in the industrial and larger commercial fields, the cost of this equipment will never have a pay back time. You will also need training in the use of such equipment it's not as easy as you may first think. In domestic installations they are just not worth the cost of the unit!! It'll just stay in it's case (after you have had your initial playtime with it..lol!!) forever more!!

Used in the right conditions/environments, by an operator that knows what he's doing, they are the best thing since sliced bread at finding/identifying all sorts of in service faults.

As mentioned by Engineer 54 they are really only suitable for industrial applications.......and as a sales gimmick for insulation survey companies that overcharge for loft insulation....

We use our Flir camera very regularly, at least one a week for control panels and large DB's. We sell yearly and 6 month preventative maintenance to our regular customers and thermal imaging is one part of it. I'm not sure it would be an easy sell to domestic and small commercial customers, maybe you could tie it in with PAT testing if you do that kind of work.

As mentioned by Engineer 54 they are really only suitable for industrial applications.......and as a sales gimmick for insulation survey companies that overcharge for loft insulation....

Good for sneaky pics of the secretary lol :lol:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 33
ours is used almost daily from motor checks to dist boards and control panels. It flags up failing bearings and loose wires before they overheat. it is a supplimentary tool and not a replacement for normal checks

ours is used almost daily from motor checks to dist boards and control panels. It flags up failing bearings and loose wires before they overheat. it is a supplimentary tool and not a replacement for normal checks

Not on continuous process plant, etc!! But i know what your saying here!! lol!!

The use of these thermal camera is becoming more and more common.

The company I work for just bought a load, and have been using these as part of a testing contract. A guy from the company itself came down to do a training day with the guys.

Reply to May I ask Thermal cameras has any one used Flirs? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net