Discuss MC cable into an exterior luminaire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We recently were tasked with doing a pilot run for upgrading the exterior lighting at some retail locations. My guys removed existing wall packs and reinstalled new LED wall packs. There were a few different wiring methods used. Some of the existing fixtures were powered by MC coming through the brick and into the back of the fixture with no connectors. Some had a handi-box sunk into the wall with the #12 coming straight through the knockout and into the fixtures.

My guys removed and reinstalled the fixtures exactly as they were originally mounted and the customer had a local electrician come behind and spot check and called us out for this not being to code.

My questions/concerns are this.

1) Would we be responsible for chipping away at the brick to make room for a connector to attach the MC to the fixture, given that these wiring methods were pre-existing? Would an insulated bushing and no connector be sufficient?

2) With the luminaires having a box mounted inside the wall, would an insulated bushing be sufficient?

We recently were tasked with doing a pilot run for upgrading the exterior lighting at some retail locations. My guys removed existing wall packs and reinstalled new LED wall packs. There were a few different wiring methods used. Some of the existing fixtures were powered by MC coming through the brick and into the back of the fixture with no connectors. Some had a handi-box sunk into the wall with the #12 coming straight through the knockout and into the fixtures.

My guys removed and reinstalled the fixtures exactly as they were originally mounted and the customer had a local electrician come behind and spot check and called us out for this not being to code.

My questions/concerns are this.

1) Would we be responsible for chipping away at the brick to make room for a connector to attach the MC to the fixture, given that these wiring methods were pre-existing? Would an insulated bushing and no connector be sufficient?

2) With the luminaires having a box mounted inside the wall, would an insulated bushing be sufficient?
Duston welcome to the forum and MC cable is approved for wet locations and embedded in brick but when y’all replaced the fixtures you have to bring up to code. At the least the MC cables need to have the plastic bushings and yes you need to chip away at the brick and try and install a connector which the light will cover up. As electricians we need to make sure it’s safe when we walk away. As far as the boxes yes an insulated bushing would be sufficient. When we take on jobs you never know what you are going to run into.

Reply to MC cable into an exterior luminaire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net