Discuss MC3 panels - MC4 connectors in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just playing around with a starter kit and the panels have MC3 connectors I have a load of MC4 connectors and crimper. Is it OK to cut off the MC3 connectors on the panels and change to MC4?

I know i can get convertors but thats more cost!

I asked our wholesalers about this cos it seemed a sensible solution - they reckon it voids the warranty ......

I'd like to see them try to void the warranty but I can't afford to take the risk! Bought MC4 crimpers yesterday - £94 incl next day delivery, cheaper at Virtual Village but longer delivery time and I need them NOW!!!

What panels are you using? We've only ever come across MC3 on Sharp NU235 panels, which as far as I know are being discontinued now. Personally I find the MC3's cack and outdated but if it voids the warranties Id avoid cutting them

What panels are you using? We've only ever come across MC3 on Sharp NU235 panels, which as far as I know are being discontinued now. Personally I find the MC3's cack and outdated but if it voids the warranties Id avoid cutting them

Sharp 245's and the 180's in fact all the Sharp's I think - unless someone else knows different.. Just installed 2 x 3.9kkpw 245's with MC3's

Little tip.

Keep the MC3 you cut off and crimp a MC4 on to it. Next install you have your own home made converter lead.

We have, do and will cut off the MC3 as and when we need to, Sharp panels yes! or buy converter leads. OK it may give the manufacture a reason to void the warranty but only time will tell just how good these manufactures are when it comes to support regardless of what we do.

The crimper does not have TUV but is extremely durable and reliable. front.jpg My MC4 connectors are TUV £2.80 each and £18.99 for 10. We sell at wholesale prices.

@JNimports - sorry, I thought your price was for 10 pairs (£0.28/pair) which, of course, would be a lot cheaper than most manufacturer's costs. Apologies, that's why I asked if they were TUV approved. £2.80/pair is not a bad price I guess, compared to MC's OEM product anyway.

We also have a range of MC4 compatible connectors that we stock, including panel-mount versions. Fully TUV approved, can supply a TUV report showing mating compatibility with MC OEM connectors too if required. Our prices are also competitively priced.

@pohez - sunclix are the Pheonix Contact connectors that SMA have now incorporated into pretty much all their inverters. We can source/supply them but they are not cheap. They are designed to be a tool-less termination method and are very well engineered. Bit of a suppy issue with them in the early days of SMA adoption due to the fact that SMA pretty much secured all global stock from Pheonix to support their inverter production requirements! Not so much an issue nowadays though. Still see far more MC4 type connectors in use though. MC3 types are still phasing out but we can supply adaptor cables if anyone needs.

Reply to MC3 panels - MC4 connectors in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net