Discuss mcb help required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Have a look on the manufacturers website for tech info.

If thats what your looking for?

As the original question has been edited away i'll make use of the title
2 connected questions really
1) at what current values do mcb's trip ie does a 16A MCB go at 16 amp or do they have tolerances that might mean they could go at little above or below.
2) i have a little 2 bed house that has an oven on its own radial circuit that is protected by a 16A mcb. the cooker is rated at 3KW so AFAIK it could legally go on a ring, but there is a cooker plug with its own socket.The cooker can take a shade over 13amps - according to diversity i think it is 11 amps with an extra 5A for the socket - bang on 16. plus am not sure what the cable is so don't know if it would be safe to put a 32A mcb in. If a kettle was put into the socket while the oven was on max that would trip the mcb - any advice.

Sounds like you need to get a visit from an electrician.

If the cable is 2.5 then the MCB could be upped to 20 Amps.

However, ovens and other appliances should ideally have their own dedicated circuit if they are rated over 2kW.

If the cable is 2.5 then the MCB could be upped to 20 Amps.

However, ovens and other appliances should ideally have their own dedicated circuit if they are rated over 2kW.

It has its own radial circuit and the run is quite short. Don't know exactly what size the cable is but know it is bigger than 2.5 twin and earth. The mcb has never previously tripped as far as i know but that might be down to good luck that the 45A cooker socket has never had a kettle plugged into it while the cooker is on. Sounds like a 20A mcb is needed.

If you look at the time/current characteristics of a type B 16amp mcb in the regs you'll see that it takes 80amps for it to trip in less than 5 seconds and that 25amps will take about 1000seconds.
Jasons right, you should not connect a fixed heating load of over 2kw to a final ring circuit.

Also, how can a thread that is only a row of dots last so long?

If you look at the time/current characteristics of a type B 16amp mcb in the regs you'll see that it takes 80amps for it to trip in less than 5 seconds and that 25amps will take about 1000seconds.
Jasons right, you should not connect a fixed heating load of over 2kw to a final ring circuit.

Also, how can a thread that is only a row of dots last so long?

thanks for the info on the 16A mcb haven't got a copy of the regs yet (but will have soon). I was sure i have read somewhere that ovens less than 3 kW can be supplied with plugs that can be plugged into ring circuits. My kettle is rated at 2500-3000W. Is it that anything with a plug is not considered to be fixed?

Reply to mcb help required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock