Discuss Mcb or Rcd Must be all from the same manufacturer in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Sometimes a panel have many types and names of mcb and rcd.Like hager,abb,legrand etc.

Is this true, That all mcb and rcd on a panel must be from the same manufacturer? If yes then why is that?

Its like a marriage,the only person allowed to put his equipment in the depository is the man ufacturer
Another persons equipment inserted will void the man ufacturer from his responsibility for it

in other words, if a wylex board has hager MCBs fitted in it and it goes up in smoke due to a fault, both manufacturers will wriggle out of responsibility. a bit like insurance companies. any excuse not to pay out and their high powered legal leeches will hang you out to dry.

It is ridiculous, what is the point of compliance with the 'rigourous' specs of BS when one unit conforming with it is not intercompatible with the other? If you continued down that route, the whole installation would have to use the same cable manufacturer, and be tested with a MFT from them too.

Car manufacturers can no longer cancel warranty if you buy from Europe, get a service at another dealer, or use non-original parts so long as they are to standard, so why should electrical manufacturers get away with this? The parts are either tested to the standard or not.

Mr Angry.

Is this actually part of the regs or is using the same make of MCB's throughout a panel just a precautionary measure?

I thought that this was a combination of the regs stating you must follow the manufacturers instructions which state you must use their product, and the type testing of a board being done only with the manufacturers parts and therefore if something goes wrong then the equipment has not been type tested and so is not suitable for the purpose!
All a load of legalese if you ask me.

I always assumed it was due to type testing, ie. the manufacturers have to test their boards to destruction (or send to a Lab which does this), to gain their certification.

As they are type tested as an assembly, obviously with their own brand accessories, then this is what it is certified for, and for nothing else outside of the tested parameters, this could come down to such things as minimum contact areas, or minimum spacing and god knows what else.

edit; Richard got their first, I must type quicker! lol

Last edited:
I have seen a few MCBs "jammed" in the old MEM boards that are no longer made

:28:nothing that a hammer won't cure, though . :57:

Merlin and Square D are identical except for the bit added to the top of the Sq.D.

You can put a Merlin mcb, rcbo, sp or tp into a Sq. D. board by transfering the plastic clip and bus bar stab.

And of course, ditching the add on lets you put the Sq. D. unit into a merlin board.

Done this many times and never seen an issue on the test sheets or installation Cert. relating to it.

Both are Schneidler and possibly from the same factory.

Boyd

Many DIN mount MCB's are made to compatible size specs but admittedly there's a few that aren't compatible with each other. In SA there's no issues about mixing and matching makes within reason but here it's very unusual to use a pre-made panel in a house unless it's a low-cost developement, nearly all our domestic DB's (CU's) are custom built by the installer.

Many DIN mount MCB's are made to compatible size specs but admittedly there's a few that aren't compatible with each other. In SA there's no issues about mixing and matching makes within reason but here it's very unusual to use a pre-made panel in a house unless it's a low-cost developement, nearly all our domestic DB's (CU's) are custom built by the installer.

What do you mean exactly by ''nearly all our domestic DB's (CU's) are custom built by the installer''?
Can you post any photo's of such a CU/DB??

It's common practice to just purchase the empty enclosure and populate it with MCB's according to the customers/premises requirements.

I'll have a dig around and see if I have any photos of domestic DB's kicking around.

Thank you for the answers, insurance or compatibility in case of extreme situation is a series reason for always installing the same name.
Is these details under the regulations of the 17 Edition IEE or any government department ? (Like in my country we have the ems (electro-mechanical department) that every few years check electrical-mechanical things on buildings like exits doors/lights,if rcds are installed etc.)
Can they obligate you to do so?

[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

Same issue with fitting replacement LED's in GU10 downlightters. I rang the manufacturers of one brand as the instructions stated that only halogen bulbs were to be used. The reason given for that requirement was that they have only been tested (in order to receive the bs compliance certification) with halogens but then added that 'personally I (he) wouldn't worry'!

I can't help thinking that there's no line being drawn here between manufacturers instructions and manufacturers recommendations. Surely common sense would dictate that GU10 halogen lamps can be safely replaced by GU10 LED equivalents without checking with the manufacturers.

Sometimes a panel have many types and names of mcb and rcd.Like hager,abb,legrand etc.

Is this true, That all mcb and rcd on a panel must be from the same manufacturer? If yes then why is that?
There are a number of different types of Distribution Boards.
One type, refered to as a Consumer Unit is type tested, with a selection of devices fitted. It is then rated in it's entirety at 16.5kA, even though the devices fitted may only be rated individually at 3kA, 6kA, 10kA etc.
These types are only rated at 16.5kA if the devices fitted are those used in the type testing. In effect only those of the same manufacturer as manufactured the CU.
Other DBs, such as are often used in industrial and commercial installations, are not type tested, these are not rated at 16.5kA, so there is no restriction against using devices manufactured by someone other than the manufacturer of the DB.

There are a number of different types of Distribution Boards.
One type, refered to as a Consumer Unit is type tested, with a selection of devices fitted. It is then rated in it's entirety at 16.5kA, even though the devices fitted may only be rated individually at 3kA, 6kA, 10kA etc.
These types are only rated at 16.5kA if the devices fitted are those used in the type testing. In effect only those of the same manufacturer as manufactured the CU.
Other DBs, such as are often used in industrial and commercial installations, are not type tested, these are not rated at 16.5kA, so there is no restriction against using devices manufactured by someone other than the manufacturer of the DB.

You'll get a different answer from the manufacturer and I can see the point really:

Take an MCB to BS EN60898, the standard governs a tight specification on curves, ratings etc but the final connection and shape of the device is, within reason, the manufacturers choice, based on the specification of their own enclosure/unit.

Does anyone really think that if another manufacturers device with a 'close match' was fitted to this enclosure/unit, the original manufacturer would still be liable for any subsequent fault/connection problem?

We've all seen it done before but I guarantee that if the unthinkable happened, you'd be in court explaining this to the manufacturers expert witness.

Marvo, I only checked because the specification was in bold letters. Common sense said that it would be ok but, for the sake of a phone call, I thought it best to check and to discover why. The uk is a litigious society nowadays.

Reply to Mcb or Rcd Must be all from the same manufacturer in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net