Discuss MCB replacements, "To P or not to P, that is the question". in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pmcsparks

Three situations on which I'd appreciate comment.
  1. Replacing S-E fuse carriers (BS3036) with plug-in MCB's (Wylex or whoever) in older CU's.
  2. Replacing cartridge carriers (BS1361) with plug-in MCB's (Wylex or whoever) in older CU's.
  3. Replacing failed MCB's (BS EN 60898) on a like-for-like basis in newer CU's.
Should any of these be treated as notifiable?

the time you have paid for plug in jobbys you could have paid for a new RCD protected DB ??

Three situations on which I'd appreciate comment.
  1. Replacing S-E fuse carriers (BS3036) with plug-in MCB's (Wylex or whoever) in older CU's.
  2. Replacing cartridge carriers (BS1361) with plug-in MCB's (Wylex or whoever) in older CU's.
  3. Replacing failed MCB's (BS EN 60898) on a like-for-like basis in newer CU's.
Should any of these be treated as notifiable?
You didn't alter a circuit and you didn't add a circuit, like for like is allowed, so I would say no ( though I am not a part p sparky )

Shocking_eg and farmelectrics maybe both missing the point.
Replacing the CU is most definitely notifiable.
I'm not 'Part P' registered and LABC fees round here are ÂŁ250 for 'Part P' work.

I'm not 'Part P' registered and LABC fees round here are ÂŁ250 for 'Part P' work.
If you give them your quals list (and copies) they should do a "reduced rate", still around the ÂŁ150 mark most places (ÂŁ140 it used to be here).

I would say no; there is no requirement for notification.
The only thing you will have to wach out for, is that the Zs are low enough for the MCBs on lighting circuits.

I thought that was a question only us older sparks faced after waking up in the wee small hours on a cold winters morning whilst standing looking at the toilet bowl.:frown:

If you give them your quals list (and copies) they should do a "reduced rate", still around the ÂŁ150 mark most places (ÂŁ140 it used to be here).

Not in my neck of the woods. ÂŁ180+VAT for anyone, regardless of qualifications. Not that it affects me, as I'm part P registered.

i wasnt talking regarding the part P side of it, reading the OP's post again i see what he means.

but i was just clearly suggesting that why pay out for ÂŁ100+ for plug in mcb's when you that amount of money could buy a new CCU ?

no real advantage of adding plug in's other than the easy reset as compared to BS3036's RW Fuses.

each to there own :)

i dont want to start any more bitch fights on here ! lol

The requirements for issuing an EIC or a MWC in no way relate to whether circuit characteristics are altered.
The requirements are whether alterations/additions to a single or multiple circuits are to be recorded.
An EIC may be issued to cover a single or multiple circuits, a MWC can only be issued for a single circuit.
In the OP's case, they could issue a single EIC to cover all circuits altered, or multiple MWCs, one for each circuit.

Reply to MCB replacements, "To P or not to P, that is the question". in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock