Discuss MCS 012 fire rating in roof systems in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marc8

-
Reaction score
Hi All

reading the guide it mentions performance of different panels & how they react, Maybe with all the guidelines & standards we have to adopt they should have had more stringent standards on the panels in the first place & then they would not need the requirement.

Evidence has emerged from MCS 012 testing that the response of apparently similarPV modules to fire tests can be radically different. Some modules are able to achievea good resistance to fire whereas others experience failures such as shattering of theglass coversheet or ignition and burning of sealant material to a sufficient extent asto lower the fire classification.MCS has chosen to adopt a precautionary approach. In the latest version of MCS012 (issue 2.0) this approach has been clarified. Where an in-roof kit relies on the fireperformance of the solar PV module to achieve its fire classification, the classificationis valid only when that roofing kit is used with the family, or families, of solar moduleswith which it was tested. In such cases the MCS 012 certificate will state both the fireclassification achieved and the family or families of solar modules with which the kitachieves this classification.

Hi SibertSolar

not to bad for me I have an email today from manufacturer to my wholesaler, stating they are happy with all panels.

this was bought up by us & that was the response happy days

I will let u Know tomorrow when i have the email.

no easy roof you have to use the flexi thatch they recommend as none of their equipment is covered as it is open back & therefore you would need apply full MCS012.

sorry unless the panel fully meets requirement

From my research if you use Renusol, IRFTS Easy Roof)or GSE Integration then unless you use the actual panel used in the MCS012 test then you'll have to put a membrane beneath the plastic trays to give the required fire resistance level.

Hi Worcester

Now Have Email On file from Manufacturer & forwarded onto company we work for & they are happy to rely on the manufacturers instructions that they cover all panels.
The reason the manufacturers are happy is that there panel is bigger than the panel itself & therefore has no contact with the roof from the panel, other manufacturers I have looked at simply install the panel in a tray with an open back & that would require the fire resistant material.
having black & white evidence from the manufacturer about this I am happy going forward should the MCS which to take it up with the manufacturer then that is up to them.
years ago we used to issue smoke certificate after installing smoke alarms & doing a heat test or a simulated test with can of spray Manufacturer steps in said no follow our instructions pressing test button & no more & that is acceptable.
should be very similar I would think.

Last edited:
Avoid all these problems and use either Viridian Solar Fusion or Solar Century Sunroof. Viridian system is tested to BBA standards including resistance spread of fire etc. Quick to install and looks fantastic.

Here is one I did Earlier (last month).

Attachments

• DSC05884 small.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 37

Reply to MCS 012 fire rating in roof systems in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net