Discuss mcs approval in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Seedler

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if there is a quick fire way of getting qualifications needed to be msc accrededited in solar PV?

Is there a crash course I can take to get electrician qualifications?

I have no qualifications in this field, but am fully compatent in electrical installation. I have fully installed new builds for family and have installed and passed a 3kw grid tie wind turbine. These have all been checked and passed by a spark.

So I know exactly what I'm doing, I just dont have the paperwork.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Dee.

17th edition, part p, solar pv course, competent persons scheme electrical assessment, lots of paperwork, mcs assessment.

It's set to get a harder soon mind.

lol, sorry I know that sounded a bit big headed.

I was just wondering if there were any quick courses to cover the electrical side of things, or should I just hire a spark?

My local collages do pv installation courses, but they wont let you on unless you have nvq level 3 in electrical installation.

Thanks,

Dee.

Considering that fact that you can't do the job on your own, go on the C&G Solar installers courses and team up in a partnership with a local quailied sparks - they will also need to have gone on a PV course. Then as per other posts on here get ready for the £10K (adjusted for reduced installation costs, streamlined processes like Easy MCS etc) costs and then on your first install realise just how much you don't know!! (String layouts, MMPT, Shading, Structural suveys, wind calcs, the right fxing methods for tghe dozen different roof types you come across, EPC's, Overvoltages, etc etc etc). - Don't then forget all the discussions on to bond or not to bond...

Having said that PV is here to stay and will still be being installed this time next year.

So, no quick way and don't look for one, go on the courses get some experince with another installer (offer your time for free), put your business plan together and spend the next 6 - 12 months working towards it. (oh and like a few of us, allow for the fact that the cashflow could kill you, so stock up on pleanty of beans whilst you can afford them :) )

To be frank, assuming that your intention is to go into the business of installing solar PV, I'd look elsewhere at the moment. As things stand, there are way, way too many solar installation companies in the market. Go look at the DECC weekly PV installation figures, where you'll see that around 2500 solar PV systems are being installed per week. Then note that there are over 4500 MCS accredited PV installation companies, which means that, at best, 2000 of those companies are not installing a PV system each week and, in all likelyhood a smaller number of companies are performing most of those installations.
Something needs to change significantly in the solar PV market and what's likely to happen is that a good number of companies will leave the market over the coming year and the market will slowly increase in size as the cost of solar PV decreases, energy costs increase and the economy slowly improves - it's going to be a slow process.

MrKNowItAll, you need to come clean on who you are.

Part of EasyMCS, or I'mCheapandEasyMCS?

I am not offering my help as a company or for commercial, private or personal gain. I'm offering my help as a private individual who has experience in the registration process.

if this breaches any conditions I would be only happy to remove myself from this forum.

My reason was an efficiency one. It can take a lot of time just to understand where one company are on the path to MCS in terms of qualifications, needs etc. There is no one size fits all with registration or the journey to MCS.

Conversing by forum can take much time.

Reply to mcs approval in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock