Discuss me again! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thekingiam

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

i was wondering what to use to pack around the edges of earthing pit, obviously not all the crap i have dug up.
some peat of a kind? which type would be best? or just get the job done.IMG_20120719_182930.jpg

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
It looks to me like it's mainly ballast and concrete so like for like when replacing it. If you start packing 'peat' in after a bit of rain and a couple of weeks it will have disappeared into the hole leaving you wide open for a personal injury claim when granny visits, trips over it and breaks her hip.

3x ballast, 2x sharp sand and 1x cement should give you a good enough mix to fill that.

S

Swicade

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As Strima says concrete it back in. Anything else (peat/soil/peagravel/etc) will overtime sink leaveing a trip hazard.

T

thekingiam

its my familys property so no chance of a claim for tripping etc. i would rather a better earth protection and can always top up with pea shingle.
if it starts becoming a problem i could always fill in later on.

A

alarm man

depends on what the finished area will be id just fill in with concrete to keep the pit secure,nice job by the way.

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
its my familys property so no chance of a claim for tripping etc. i would rather a better earth protection and can always top up with pea shingle.
if it starts becoming a problem i could always fill in later on.
Don't be too sure.

Although you may not seem concerned you have weakened the path and over time it very well may start to collapse around the edges, also water ingress close to the building will, again over time, start to soften the earth in turn effecting the foundations. I would urge you to rethink it.

S

Swicade

Claim or not i'd be more concerned by leaveing a job with a potential trip hazard in a pathway.

Pea gravel will allow water down the hole but i fail to see what real benefit this would be (as from the quality of the job i'd assume you've got the best earth you can get abit of water wont help that much).

At least it concreted and left in the same condition (path wise) as it was before you put the pit you'll no for sure there's no future trip hazard at all.

Another way to look at it is would your part P assesssor be happy if he saw a trip hazard sat there around the pit?

in this situation i would have to do like for like, and drop some cement around the surrounding edge. would blend it in with the rest of the surface.
also the regs state that the earth electordes, should be protected against soil drying and freezing.

im sure that a concrete shield would help to insulate against this.

Not sure why everyone is obsessing about an alleged trip hazard. It is against a building, and besides, every house I've ever owned/visited has had literally dozens of levels in the garden and pathways including flowerbeds, brickweave paths, patios, raised beds, drain covers....
Pea shingle filled to the level of the concrete won't create a hazard any more than having gravel on your drive!!!

cbw

-
Why would a concrete 'shield' protect from drying out of the rod???

Quite the oposite in my mind......

I like the idea of a bit of pea shingle.

but a bag of concrete probably costs what a couple of bags of pea shingle cost? and takes as much time to make good after packing/compressing?

wel my theory is that pea shingle would allow voids within the plastic outer casing of the earth rod ispection pit to be compromised.
as concrete is self leveling and would push all air to the surface when compacted and leveled out.
in turn the only moisture would be able to get in through the access panel. (apart from the actuall earth rod itself)

or am i reading to far into this.

personall preferance i would concrete it back in.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to me again! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom