Discuss means of isolation for PIR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all..

I would like to know if I have to provide a switch to isolate an outside light with PIR. I would personally be much happier doing so but my friend already wishes to have a seperate switch which overides the PIR function (i.e it would switch the O/S light on whenever he wished but would not isolate from permanent live going to PIR), so that would mean 2 switches.

The only reason I'm a little confused is that OSG page 185 states that a circuit breaker can be used as a means of isolation. I'm almost certain I will still need to seperately isolate the O/S light but it was just the OSG confusing me :confused5:

The source would be from another light inside the house (protected by 6A MCB and RCD) or straight from consumer unit.

Thanks.

PS.. Does anyone know where I can buy an outside light with PIR that has 4 terminals (S/L, N, CPC and L)?

Most OL's have 4 terminals.
I've never put in an isolator for a PIR light, and rarely see it done but can see why it would be a good idea (changing the lamp)

It is good practice to have outside lights on their own MCB, but if the manufacturers instructions do not state that it must have a separate switch then it is acceptable to use the existing MCB as isolation.
Not sure what you mean about s/l on a PIR lamp unit. Normally they are fed with just L/N/E, and switching it off/on within so many seconds generates the override. A normal light switch would achieve this.

There is a method of wiring a 2way switch to provide either PIR or permanently on. Use three core & earth, Line to switch (Com) from supply. One cable from L1 to PIR power, L2 direct to switched connection on lamp holder.

If you really want an isolator then a DP switch either located next to the light switch (2G box that will take 2x 1G plates) or out of sight but accessible for maintenance.

There is a method of wiring a 2way switch to provide either PIR or permanently on. Use three core & earth, Line to switch (Com) from supply. One cable from L1 to PIR power, L2 direct to switched connection on lamp holder.

If you really want an isolator then a DP switch either located next to the light switch (2G box that will take 2x 1G plates) or out of sight but accessible for maintenance.
You dont really need a 2 way switch for this strima you just give the PIR a permanent feed and the light a switched feed. Personally I prefer doing this to those silly lights were you have to turn the switch on and off 14 times than do 6 starjumps and clap your hands to make the light stay on.

You dont really need a 2 way switch for this strima you just give the PIR a permanent feed and the light a switched feed. Personally I prefer doing this to those silly lights were you have to turn the switch on and off 14 times than do 6 starjumps and clap your hands to make the light stay on.
Just one method of many mate.

You forgot the part where you have to stand still for ten minutes then move six inches to check the zone of the PIR to make sure it turns on the 500W security light when your neighbour walks down his path causing temporary blindness and skin cancer... :lol:

Thanks all,

That sounds nice and simple Dave 85, but the terminals in the light will run directly into the PIR. How do I bypass the PIR with a switched feed without having a seperate light and PIR?

Just one method of many mate.

You forgot the part where you have to stand still for ten minutes then move six inches to check the zone of the PIR to make sure it turns on the 500W security light when your neighbour walks down his path causing temporary blindness and skin cancer... :lol:

"Political Correctness" is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Ha ha Love it

Reply to means of isolation for PIR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock