Discuss Measuring earth loop imopedance Ze using FLUKE meter - settings?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jim beam

Guys (n' girls of course)

I have just started using a 1653B FLUKE and when testing earth loop impedance Ze (ie. impedance of supply - tested at supply origin), I presume I use the 'LOOP IMPEDANCE' setting (line to protective Earth L-PE) using the Z1 Hi current setting, and NOT the 'Earth Resistance Testing (by Loop Method)' which (as it states on pg. 25 of the instruction manual) appears to look only at the earth resistance component of the total loop - & therefore NOT the resistance of the Line conductor path - which is necessary for Ze 0- right?????

So, in other words I'm using exactly the same setting as if I wanted to measure total Zs (eg. at a plug socket or terminals of ceiling rose) it's just that for Ze I measure at the supply origin - but FLUKE tester settings still the same, albeit I may select Z1 "no trip" in RCD in-line.

Is this Correct? I am not 100% sure?

Also, I am guessing that to make a Prospective Short Circuit test that the source impedance between line conductors (line and neutral) is the one to use - and not between line and protective earth.

I know this probably sounds all a bit obvious but I'd really appreciate someone clarifying this to me as I am not familiar with the FLUKE.

Big Thanks!!

P

I'm not familiar with the Fluke you have but I have the 1652 mft.

I've been using a guide to help me become familiar with using my tester so I will write out exactly what it says.

Earth Fault Loop Impedance (Ze)

Select "Loop" on tester and null the leads (touch all three leads together and PRESS AND HOLD the ZERO button)

To measure PSCC (essential for TN-S and TN-CS supply to double check neutral path)
Set tester to L-N using the F1 button - Place Red probe on line and blue probe on neutral - Press test button and note figure in BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER as PSCC

To measure Ze/Pefc set tester to L-PE using the F1 button - Place Red probe on line, blue probe on neutral and green probe on DISCONNECTED earth. Note LARGE number in centre of display as Ze

Reconnect earth conductor and repeat the same test as for Ze but note the number in bottom right hand corner as PEFC

Notes Main switch OFF, Circuit Breakers OFF

The means of bonding must be disconnected from the installation earthed equipotential bonding for the duration of the test to remove parallel paths.

The PEFC will only be displayed whilst the probes are in contact with the installation and therefore should be recorded before removing them.

Hopefully this helps with your tester, the information has been a real lifeline for me getting to know how to use my tester :D

Many thanks, yes, that's really useful!!

Also I guess then, for measuring Zs values for each circuit (EG. at a socket outlet using the available 3-pin plug connector for fluke) I would simply follow the instructions for Ze for meter settings. The earth bonding conductors should (I guess) still be disconnected (for the same reason, parallel paths) but of course the main switch and associated circuit MCB for the circuit being tested, should be 'on'.

Would you agree?

Many, many thanks

P

Jim feel free to PM me your email address and when I get 5 minutes I will scan then material I have and send it over to you. I always keep mine in my tester box so it's on hand whenever I have one of those blank moments :thumbsup

Hi Jim, When measuring Zs with either lead set the earthing conductor and main bonding conductors MUST be connected, for safety. Remember with Fluke 165x MFTs that the BS1363 lead set MUST also be nulled to get accurate and meaningful results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim,

That would be most appreciated fella, yes, please send scans of the material over.

My e-mail is :- [email protected] (my actual name is Pietro, I simply use Jim as a user-name here).

Many thanks for your help
'-)
Pietro

when measuring Ze, the main earth conductor is disconnected. for pssc and pefc, it must be reconnected.

yes mate i also use the 1652, set it to loop then alternate between l-e and l-n using the f1 button, also if you go to volts use f3 to check your battery level, i am sure they recommend it does not go below 6.1, a friend of mine had one that was playing up last week and that was the problem just keep an eye on the battery level, apart from that its an excellent tester

Reply to Measuring earth loop imopedance Ze using FLUKE meter - settings?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net