Discuss Mechanical protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just out of interest, how many steel capping lengths stacked on top of each other would you consider to be suitable to provide mechanical protection to switch drops on non-RCD protected lighting circuits?

I've always been lead to believe that 3mm of steel is thick enough to be defined as mechanical protection against screws and nails which by my measurement would make it about 5-6 steel capping lengths stacked. Would you stack more or less? Would you even consider it suitable?

And before you mention it, lets say for example that steel conduit is out of the question.

Debate... :D

As it's layered perhaps some could be surplus to requirements. A penetrating object would have it's velocity reduced by the first layer, then the second slows it some more etc etc. Wouldn't like to try it though

I suppose you could judge "how many" whilst fitting
If you can easily bang your fixing nail through the sheathing you may need more :smile5:

I suppose you could judge "how many" whilst fitting
If you can easily bang your fixing nail through the sheathing you may need more :smile5:

Fixing nail??? Steel capping??? lol

No, I would probably drill the stack me thinks and combine with screws and plugs :D

Fixing nail??? Steel capping??? lol

No, I would probably drill the stack me thinks and combine with screws and plugs :D

Ah,you are now copying my usual method,but we need to use capping nails for the considered opinion of "how many"
Bringing drills and such to the issue would be infecting the experiment with high technology, that would render the result invalid
Mechanical protection {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Take a piece of steel conduit and cut in half lengthways and drop over the cable, fix with pipe clips, sorted!!
Plenty of lube and good blades then... :) Sounds like a good night out in Liverpool.

How can steel conduit be out of the question , but 6 layers of capping is a considered alternative ?
Fit as many as you want lol , bs7671 still wont recognise it as proper mech protection ;-)
its not just thickness either , conduit steel is considerbly harder than capping tin-foil.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can steel conduit be out of the question

Coz it is :D

but 6 layers of capping is a considered alternative

6 layers of capping would only be about half the thickness (overall width wise) of the diameter of 20mm steel conduit. If mounted on a wall, it is just as thick as 1/2" plasterboard and can easily be plastered over. Steel conduit would protrude too much to plaster over.

bs7671 still wont recognise it a proper mech protection ;-)

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware, BS7671 has no guidance for what can and can't be considered mechanical protection, only that mechanical protection must be suitable for each individual situation.

its not just thickness either , conduit steel is considerbly harder than capping tin-foil.

Hence why I said 6 layers. I've used 3mm steel plate to protect cables before and you aint never getting a nail through that unless you're using a Paslode! Then again, with a Paslode you could quite easily penetrate galv conuit as well :D I just wondered if enough capping was stacked together to an overall thickness of 3mm, surely that wold be the same as 3mm plate steel anyway?

and youre wrong about bs7671 guidance on mech protection.
dont want rcd's ? then its EARTHED steel conduit or swa. thats your lot.
gonna be earthing your 6 layers of capping then ?
thought not lol.

Epoxy resin between capping sheets and you'll have the poor mans version of Chobham armour... :lol:

stop being lazy and chase out the conduit drops.
we both know thats the real reason lol.

stop being lazy and chase out the conduit drops.
we both know thats the real reason lol.

Ah, with regards to that, the block was waaaay too thin to chase, hence why I asked.

With regards to the other situation, I was thinking of CU changes that involve moving the CU thus rendering the cables buried in the wall out of their safe zone.

- - - Updated - - -

option b - swa

I never would, tis way too easy to penetrate with nails IMHO

Edit: I should add, these are hypothetical future situations that could potentially be made easier with steel capping than when I've been faced with these same situations in the past.

Last edited:

Reply to Mechanical protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock