Discuss MEET - the Museum of Electrical and Electronic Technology in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's happening - the new way to discover and explore every aspect of electricity and electronics. An interactive exhibition and demonstration of everything from vintage arcade games to power station machinery to scary fuse boxes to bizarre electromedical quack gadgets.

The project has been under slow development for a long time and 'on the back burner' until recently. Having discovered that I have a life-limiting illness I need to get it moving quickly and thanks to some generous support and donations we have raised the funding for the startup phase of the project. The charitable organisation to run it has been formed and a pilot exhibition will open in 2022 to demonstrate how it is all going to work.

This thread will keep you updated with developments and links to media, and various news from the front line. We are actively working with the collection as well as in the back office, so we'll try to give you some sneak previews of interesting bits. If you fancy helping out, we're based in London and Bedfordshire, all are welcome, get in touch by this thread or PM.

First of all, here is a link to a little interview that was made just after I received my shock diagnosis. Things are looking up since then, I am responding well to treatment and hope to beat the survival odds. This is on the actual fundraising page where you can track the progress of that campaign and make donations:

There was some news coverage in MyLondon which was also written when I had been given the rather pessimistic initial prognosis and the implications of the illness loomed rather large:

Now onto some machines:
Here's Steve starting up the Belliss and Morcom 60kW compound steam-driven generating set:

And at the electronic end of the scale, a 1984 VHD videodisc machine using a vinyl record (!) that never caught on:

I'll put some pics up in further posts...

It's a pleasure to be the first one to comment!

I remember those video discs. Amazing that they ever got it working reliably to be honest. Well, fairly reliably.

Good luck with the project. I've just made a donation. Sorry it couldn't be more but with Xmas around the corner etc.
BTW, you really don't look anything like I expected, not that I really knew what to expect!

Lamps and bulbs and tubes and their fixtures:View attachment 93119
Dad used to have bayonet flouro tubes in the garage - mounted in a couple of terry clips. Until he couldn't get replacement tubes and replaced the connectors with bi-pin ones.
That looks a lot like the sodium lamp we had in the physics lab at 6th form - though ours wasn't that old. I could just imagine the meeting where such a thing was discussed these days.
Well for the labs involving the sodium lines, we'll have this industrial bulb - bare, and with exposed terminals if the student unplugs it. But it'll be OK, because they are all sensible young adults ...
Oh well, that's probably another set of labs cancelled from the curriculum then.

Yes that's a sodium tube, we also have caesium to fit the same lamp. Connector is a British 4-pin valve base.

I still buy some BELL lamps/bulbs now - although I'm not sure if it's the same company ?
My dad spent his working life as a machine tool or auto setter, very good at his job he was.
Of course those old methods are long gone in this age of CNC.

Reply to MEET - the Museum of Electrical and Electronic Technology in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net