Discuss megga mft 1720 trips rcbo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Any one else come across the new 2 lead no trip feature trips some brands of rcbo's? so far i've found it trips wylex, crabtree and doorman smith. is their any work around or have i just got a dodgy meter?

My 1730 does it, its a known fault. there was talk about a firmware update for them but not heard anything since.. I sometimes move circuit from rcbo to mcb to test or just do a low ohms and calculate zs from that.. but spending large amounts of money on test gear for it not to do as you want is crap... (wanted to use harsher words but they would be cut out)

Edit, also testing the same circuit, using no trip then high gives two diffrent readings not a lot but at the price, again I would thought it would be better....
But saying all that i like my MFT for the other bits it does

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a hi and low setting but the hi current one trips all rcbo's and the lo current setting trips some rcbo's rendering it useless and unreliable as i test a lot of exsisting installations all with different rcbo's in

There is a hi and low setting but the hi current one trips all rcbo's and the lo current setting trips some rcbo's rendering it useless and unreliable as i test a lot of exsisting installations all with different rcbo's in

Me too, and every time I see a wylex or crabtree, I let out a large sigh!!

Just Emailed Megga to see if theres a fix.. put up with it for 6 months and keep forgetting to do anything about it, only when I read another persons post saying the same thing do i remember, then still forget.. but anyway, hopefully they reply...

I have heard that the latest firmware to 1.09 has corrected a lot of issues with this series, tho not sure if what you are describing is one of them. Worth checking tho.

thought i read in here the other day that reversing the polarity stops this.....

I tried this on site just experimenting with 2 different types of rcbo's but didnt work and the version number is 1.09. I have a way of getting over this but would be nice not to be forced to use this way. But what i do is short out live and earth at end of line. then going across the breaker put one prob on the live side of the rcbo and the other on the dead side this 100% gives you acurate reading everytime. and saves time but would prefer to do the tests properly!

Just had mine back from them after a few issues. They have updated the firmware but I have yet to see if it has solved the rcbo issues.

reply to my previous post...
I received an Email from Megga, and a day or so latter had a chat with a representive on the phone.
He advised me that swopping the line and neutral leads over when doing the no trip Ze test should help..
Ive now tested this and can happly say it works. so no more pain in the butt RCBO triping.
Thank you to megga for taking the time not only to email me but to phone me as well.

Reply to megga mft 1720 trips rcbo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net