Discuss megger 1552 / gs38 ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tomchester999

Hiya

just wondering if gs 38 applies to MFtesters I assume it would yet the megger I have is supplied with test leads that dont conform to gs38.. is this a problem for NICEIC inspection, do i need to buy test leads with 2mm/retractable plastic screens?

thanks

tom

Yes, as Widdler said, the plastic tips that are supplied will give you 2mm of exposed tip.

As for fused leads, I've probably done 10 annual NICEIC technical assessments as QS and never been asked if my leads were fused.

The first one I did for the ECA, I bought a fused lead set, did the first Zs test on the assessment and had a poor contact at a fused connection unit, it took the HRC test lead fuse straight out, much to my embarassment!

The rest of the assessment took place without fused leads and without any comments from the assessor.

Hiya

just wondering if gs 38 applies to MFtesters I assume it would yet the megger I have is supplied with test leads that dont conform to gs38.. is this a problem for NICEIC inspection, do i need to buy test leads with 2mm/retractable plastic screens?

thanks

tom

Hi Tomchester999

As you have mentioned the Megger MFT1500 Series is supplied with unfused testleads due to fact the instrument complies to IEC61010 and has internal protection so fused leads maybe waived.
The MFT is calibrated for use with unfused leads so the use of fused leads may compromise the very low value readings due to fuse resistance.
There is also a possibilty the fuses will blow when performing certain loop tests.

Clear plastic shrouds are provided with Megger leadsets to comply with the maximum exposed tip requirements of GS38.

Regards

Megger Technical Support

To paraphrase my Elecsa Assessor - "What you got those tip covers on for? Take them off so you can get a proper contact!"

Reply to megger 1552 / gs38 ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net