Discuss Megger 1552 vs Fluke 1652 vs Metrel 3100 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brman

Ok, yes I know there are 1000s of posts on which tester is best but my brain is starting to fry with all the options so I'd really love someone to sanity check what I am thinking....

My problem is that I have used all three of these testers but only for specific tasks and I am not experienced with these measurements so am likely to miss stuff. I am on a budget and happy to consider secondhand but do have some concerns with buying sight unseen on ebay and also need to consider cal costs, knackered leads etc. So....

Megger 1552: I have used one of these for all the basic tests (ie. continuity, loop tests, resistance, RCDs etc). I liked it - it is solid,easy to understand and most tests (eg cont and loop) don't need you to press the start button. On the other hand RCD tests could be a pain as it has no auto mode.

New is outside my price range but there are plenty on ebay going for around £300 so the only real problem is my reservations of buying on ebay.

Fluke 1652: I've been offered a 2nd hand one by a mate for £300. I've not seen it yet but supposedly all the bits are there, it is good nick but the cal ran out recently. I've only used one for RCD testing (which was easy enough and has auto test) and it looks a solid bit of kit but I did notice a colleague swearing when he was using it as he was getting variable continuity measurements (constantly having to re-null) and needed 3 hands to hold the probes and press the test button. There again they didn't have the probe with a test button which I assume solves that problem?

Metrel 3100: I've gone for this over the 3000 as I have had a brief play with one (RCD testing again) and it had the remote commander. To me this looks pretty important but what do you more experienced guys think?
The big plus on this is that I could afford a new one so no warranty or cal problems.

I guess my first question is am I right in assuming all these will do everything I'll need for standard jobs (if there is such a thing!)?

I got the impression that the order of preference here is probably Megger->Fluke->Metrel but would the supposedly superiority of a 2nd hand megger outweight the advantage of going new with the metrel? Particularly as the Metrel appears to do a fair bit more.
And are all those extra features really useful on the metrel? I am perfectly capable of looking up fuses etc in the book so I don't really need the tester to do that for me.
And where would you put a known good but 2nd hand Fluke in all this? Does £300 sound a reasonable price?

Any pointers very welcome before I spend all my hard earned....

btw. I should add that I doubt I will be doing major electrical installation work and I am not even 100% sure I will be going the full self certification route (I may end up calling in a more experienced pro on more complex jobs anyway) but I do want the ability to fully check installations I work on and also ensure anything I do is up to scratch, even if it is not notifiable.

Toby

Yes, and I have read most of it. Trouble is, as far as I can tell it just shows that people have their preferences based on what they are used to and what problems they have had. And value judgements are based on new prices.

I guess I was more interested in what people think about buying 2nd hand, particularly on ebay, and whether they would really go that route to get a prefered tester rather than new with something like the Metrel.
My problem is that I am just not experienced enough to know what is most important in a tester. In my limited experience they all have limitations and can give different results. For example in RCD testing I found back to back testing (on the same RCD) gave significantly different results on the 3 testers. There again, all the results were good so perhaps I should not stress about that?

Toby

Hi Brman, i don't know if your funds would stretch to a megger 1553, but that does have an auto rcd test function which seems to work well.

hmm... I have to admit I hadn't thought to look further up the megger range. A quick check on ebay suggests I would probably pay £100 more for one (2nd had of course) which would be do-able. Not so many listed though.
Is the general consensus that auto RCD test is important, or is it just a time thing?

oh dear ... I am starting to think I have mixed up the 1502 and 1552.:blush5: I think it might be the 1502 I have used.

So the 1552 is looking a good option then as I liked the 1502 apart from the lack of auto rcd. Only trouble is finding a decent 2nd hand one....

Thanks
Toby

Lenny, I guess my budget is £400ish all in (ie. inc vat) so I would already be pushing it with a new Metrel 3100 but that would make the Dilog ok too.
Can you compare the Dilog to the metrel quality wise?

Toby

Can I just add that IMO you should allow for calabration (unless cert with unit) and a set of leads if buying second hand. So if it needs both that another £100 on the SH price right there. The leads may be ok but they are the only thing I replace on my 1651 - besides batteries :)

Hope that helps.

Thanks DaveyD. That certainly concerns me. So the fluke at £300 might be good value but only if I am sure the leads are good. IIRC my mate told me he paid £60 locally for a calibration so I need to factor that in.

I am starting to think I should go for the fluke only if it and the leads look in very good nick and perhaps do some continuity tests to check the low resistance measurements are consistant?

Otherwise I might play it safe and go for a new Metcal 3100 or investigate the dialog Lenny mentions.

Toby

spinlondon. I tried that but you are right, most of them do what I need. It did show up another cheap option the Idea Suretest but I struggle to find any comments from anyone who has owned one.

Toby

The new fluke is faster at doing zs's than the megger we have both at work but the megger automatically presses test for you , but u also get a lead with both ( a line lead) which has a test button on it- the megger one also has a torch button on the probe!

I'm in the same position and trying to choose my first test kit (god, that sounds like a Fisher Price toy!).

Decided to go for the Metrel 3000. It's got all the features I need, without too many additional things to confuse me.

Made the decision after a chat with a guy at Test Meters, Electrical Testing Equipment & Measurement Instruments. Very helpful and worth the phonecall, they didn't try to push me into buying a more expensive bit of kit, just made suggestions.

I've decided not to get the Metrel 3100 as it's more expensive and I've been told the tip-commander probe is a bit bulky at times.

Additionally, the 3100 gives a clear pass/fail readout for some tests, whereas the 3000 just gives the value measured. As a newbie, it's probably best that I get used to checking the readings against regs and make my own mind up, rather than relying on the machine.

Megger wins hands down for me.

2 leads for Loop test and you dont have to press a button.
continuity test - no button again
3 phase fault current testing

The Fluke is okay but it is easy to have it on the wrong setting ( i'm thinking about Pscc and Pefc tests)
The Flukes buttons are not as solid and the screen is cluttered.

One thought, why do you need RCD auto test? My megger is the 1502 and it doesnt have auto test, but I've never needed it. I just test at the RCD.

With the auto test, you can plug the unit into the first socket, press test then stand by the CU, and just flick the RCD back on untill it stops tripping.
Then go back to the machine, and all the results are there on the screen.

and that is standard on the 1552. works a treat, just as spin describes.

Reply to Megger 1552 vs Fluke 1652 vs Metrel 3100 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net