Discuss Megger 1553 help in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ezzzekiel

replaced my battered 1552 with a 1553 and have noticed that when carrying out a continuity test ,

with leads open >999
with leads joined get a valid reading,
when breaking leads open again the reading stays and wont return to >999 and this i find very annoying? any ideas anyone?

the lock button on side noew also cycles on the display r2, r12, r1, rr1, rr2, rrn im assuming the lock button doubles up as the bluetooth button as it has a bluetooth logo next to it also

There should be an open circuit indicator on the display if you look closely.

And yes, the other feature you mention is for Bluetooth to transmit results to laptop/PDA.

replaced my battered 1552 with a 1553 and have noticed that when carrying out a continuity test ,

with leads open >999
with leads joined get a valid reading,
when breaking leads open again the reading stays and wont return to >999 and this i find very annoying? any ideas anyone?

the lock button on side noew also cycles on the display r2, r12, r1, rr1, rr2, rrn im assuming the lock button doubles up as the bluetooth button as it has a bluetooth logo next to it also

My continuity reading stays on-screen for about 5 seconds, I don't have bluetooth, only a 1552

yeah that what mine used to do but the 1553 displays the reading and does not revert to >999

the circuit indicator does move though - but find the fixed reading to be annoying and not sure if its a 1553 way of doing things or a fault on the meter?

if any 1553 owners can confirm./ dismiss this

My 1553 does this. I found it a little strange at first, but it is good to be able to carry out a test, concentrating on where your hands are, rather than straining to look at the instrument at the same time.
The test result can be written down or transmitted as your hands are away from the circuit, rather than the reading disappearing off the display and you try and remember what it was...

The reading changes whenever the unit detects that another test is being carried out. The open/closed circuit indicator shows test in progress as mentioned.

In a quiet environment I can hear the idiot-proofing relays in the unit operate a fraction of a second after I apply the probes to the circuit, so I don't always need to watch the circuit indicator.

Simon.

Edit: And the lock button cycling through those items is so that the correct info ends up in the correct box on the cert if you're using powersuite. eg R2, (R1+R2), your ring loops etc.
Trusty notebook and pen for me though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine it keeps the lowest reading on screen to be noted. Seems a bit dumb to me but I suppose it could have it's advantages. Does it clear if you press the test button again? Been a while since I used a Megger.

On continuity, the TEST button is used for nulling the leads.

To clear the reading, I just usually "flash" the leads together momentarily.

Simon.

yeah i noticed that today by flashing leads it clears the reading, prefer the old method on th 52 although its no biggy just was wondering if there was a fault on my meter.

thanks for help.

Yes, the digital part of the display only reads up to 299Megohms, higher than that it just shows >299.

However the analogue part will show up to about 1Gigohm (I think - I haven't got the kit in front of me at the mo!)

Simon.

Reply to Megger 1553 help in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net